Sunday, December 3, 2017

Review: Runebinder by Alex R. Kahler

Runebinder
(The Runebinder Chronicles #1)
Publication Date: November 14, 2017
Hardcover, 400 pages, Harlequin Teen
Genres: YA, Fantasy

Magic is risen.

When magic returned to the world, it could have saved humanity, but greed and thirst for power caused mankind's downfall instead. Now once-human monsters called Howls prowl abandoned streets, their hunger guided by corrupt necromancers and the all-powerful Kin. Only Hunters have the power to fight back in the unending war, using the same magic that ended civilization in the first place.

But they are losing.

Tenn is a Hunter, resigned to fight even though hope is nearly lost. When he is singled out by a seductive Kin named Tomás and the enigmatic Hunter Jarrett, Tenn realizes he's become a pawn in a bigger game. One that could turn the tides of war. But if his mutinous magic and wayward heart get in the way, his power might not be used in favor of mankind.

If Tenn fails to play his part, it could cost him his friends, his life…and the entire world.

My Review

A post-apocalyptic world caused by magic is something that I haven’t seen before in YA. But Runebinder did it, and I’m glad. Magical fantasy elements with a modern-esque world is a pretty interesting concept.

This book starts off with an action-packed scene narrated by the main character, Tenn. Tenn is an average character. I feel like he’s got the typical chosen-one syndrome going on. He’s just trying to survive in a terrible situation, but everyone else wants him to be a special snowflake.

I do wish there had been more character development for Tenn. There was no opportunity for the reader to get to know him and his true personality; however, the same can be said of most of the characters. The relationships just happened super fast. This includes both romantic relationships and friendships.

While the characters were just alright, the world-building for this story was fantastic. It’s such a unique concept. Runebinder mixes elemental magic with rune magic and demonic, zombielike creatures. It’s kind of like The Walking Dead mixed with Avatar: The Last Airbender. I think there could have been more explanation in the beginning for how the world and magic system worked, but I enjoyed learning what I could.

All in all, this book is a great addition to the growing universe of YA fantasy stories. I would suggest going into it knowing that there’s a complicated magic system, though.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book for myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything about this book before, but it sounds super interesting. I love a good fantasy and I love it when the world building is well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty good story. I think future books will be better than this one since the world is established now.

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good even if there was some room for improvement with the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trailer was just amazing. I am a huge fan of The Avengers and I just can't wait for Infinity War to arrive. Really looking forward to watching it in the Cinema.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!