Thursday, December 28, 2017

My Thoughts on Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I thought I’d share my thoughts and feels on Star Wars: The Last Jedi. In case you, for some inexplicable reason, haven’t heard of the eighth installment in this mega franchise, I’ve posted the trailer below:


Alright, so, first thing’s first, the trailer made this movie look way better than it actually was. The mood in the trailer is dark and atmospheric. The mood in the movie: odd.

I loved The Force Awakens. Now, I’m not the world’s greatest Star Wars fan, but I enjoy it every now and then. So, adding on another film trilogy was super fun for me. Even Rogue One was entertaining. But this movie lacked The Force Awakens’ overall fun, action-packed energy. The jokes were also severely lacking. BB-8 is about the only humorous part of the movie.

I can’t go into too much without giving away spoilers, but I just thought the way the Force worked in this movie was strange. There was no explanation for why some of the characters could do the things they did. I also found the balance of the Force mojo crazily off-putting. It was like a mind-game mystery or some Inception-level stuff, not a space story.

Also, while the story follows the same characters in The Force Awakens, they were just different in this installment. Rey was a strong heroine, but she made off-putting decisions. Poe was reckless and stupid. I am very glad he got his comeuppance, though. I can tell where they were going with his character’s story, but the entire portion of his, Finn’s, and Leia’s plotline was just boring. It was almost like the filmmakers were trying to put in filler storylines between the Rey and Luke scenes. Oh, and Luke was weird. I’m very baffled by his character arc.

I could totally tell what messages they were trying to achieve with this film about heroes and war, but something just wasn’t working. I know I’m not alone in this because a lot of The Last Jedi watchers have voiced their complaints.

Overall, I was disappointed in this film. Will I see the ninth movie? Absolutely. Will I be expecting to enjoy it? Not if something doesn’t drastically change between the two sequels.

2 comments:

  1. I'm old. I remember seeing Return of the Jedi in the movie theatre when it was first released. I love the original three movies but haven't really liked any of the new ones so I just stopped watching them at some point. Sorry you were disappointed by this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've heard that from a lot of people. They just seem to not care about the newer ones.

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!