Thursday, April 19, 2018

UK vs. US Cover Designs. Which Should I Buy?

I didn’t really have a post planned for today, so I thought I’d do something simple. See, lately, I’ve been thinking about whether or not I want to buy the UK or the US versions of some books. Since this is such a monumental decision, I thought I’d get my fellow book-lovers’ expert opinions.

UK covers

US covers

First up is Kiersten White’s newest trilogy. I have yet to read the books, because I just plan on binging them once the last book releases this summer. However, I’m not 100% sure on which cover design I want more. While I like the UK covers better, I like the fact that the US ones come in a standard US hardcover size. The UK copies will be paperbacks that are a teeny bit shorter than regular US paperback copies.

I have a strong feeling I’ll end up going with the UK covers, but what are you guys’ thoughts?

UK covers

 US covers

The second series is Alwyn Hamilton’s Rebel of the Sands trilogy. I currently own Rebel of the Sands in the US hardcover and Traitor to the Throne in the US paperback. All because of the stupid cover redesign.

This one is tougher than the Kiersten White books, because both versions are appealing. However, I do have to wait for the US paperback of Hero at the Fall to release next year… *sigh* Thank goodness for libraries. They help a lot when there are mean cover changes.

Oh, and the US paperbacks also have that icky Speak logo on the bottom. Penguin Teen, I love you, but the logo you have on your paperbacks is ugly.

Any thoughts?

UK covers

 US covers

The third series is V.E. Schwab’s Shades of Magic series. Now, this one comes with a caveat. I own A Darker Shade of Magic, book one, in the US paperback. I plan on reading the book to see if I even want to continue on with the rest of the trilogy. But, if I do want to continue, I have to decide between the UK and US covers. I’m 95% sure the UK covers will win, even though I work at Tor. (Don’t tell the design department I said that.)

Well, what do you think? Which cover sets do you prefer?

1 comment:

  1. I own Rebel in U.S Hardback, and I am really really debating buying the U.K editions just to match. And since AID is like one of my favorite books of all time, I might be the series in both editions eventually.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!