Thursday, April 5, 2018

Review: Blood Fury by J.R. Ward

Blood Fury
(Black Dagger Legacy #3)
Publication Date: January 9, 2018
Hardcover, 411 pages, Ballantine Books
Genres: Adult, Romance, Paranormal

A vampire aristocrat, Peyton is well aware of his duty to his bloodline: mate with an appropriate female of his class and carry on his family’s traditions. And he thought he’d found his perfect match—until she fell in love with someone else. Yet when his split-second decision in a battle with the enemy endangers the life of another trainee, Peyton has to face the idea that his future, and his heart, actually lie with another.

Novo, as a female in the Black Dagger Brotherhood’s training program, feels like she has to prove herself to everybody—and she has no interest in being distracted by falling in love. But when Peyton proves to be so much more than a rich playboy, she is forced to confront the tragedy that has broken her soul and closed her off from love.

As the two grapple with Novo’s past and Peyton’s present, another couple must contend with an erotic connection that is unparalleled—and potentially scandalous.

Saxton, who has had his heart broken, discovers in himself a deep-seated attraction to Ruhn, a new member of the household. But will the other male explore the connection? Or will he close his mind and his heart to what could be true love . . . and cost Saxton everything?

My Review

The privileged, rich vampire unexpectedly develops feelings for the hardcore woman warrior in his training group? Sign me up. Oh, but wait. There’s more. Two male vampires navigating their new lives and getting closer in the process? Double yes! The more vampires, the better. Right? Well, not exactly…

Novo, our woman warrior, was such a bada$$ character in the previous book, Blood Vow. That bada$$ery kind of fizzled a bit in this one, though. Super disappointing. I wanted a raunchy, raw hardcore romance from Peyton and Novo, but I got a screened over novella instead.

While I was excited to see Ruhn and Saxton’s debuting relationship, I feel like they deserved their own book. Why didn’t they get their own book, J.R. Ward? As it was, Novo + Peyton and Ruhn + Saxton only got ~200 pages for each of their romances to develop, and it was completely unsatisfactory. None of the endings really tied up well, and each relationship happened way too fast. The pace should have been slower.

Despite my disappointment, I did enjoy this book. Mostly because the world Ward has created always fascinates me. (But we will always forget The Chosen exists.) I did enjoy these characters’ stories, and I read the book in two days. I just wish there had been another two hundred pages and/or it focused on one romance instead of two. Of course, this isn’t the only Black Dagger Brotherhood/Legacy book to focus on too many characters at once, and I’m sure it won’t be the last.

All in all, BDB fans will probably enjoy this one. It just doesn’t seem like it would be anyone’s favorite book in either the BDB or BDL series. It’s a decidedly average contribution to this vampire world.


*Note: I borrowed this book from the library. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!