Thursday, December 24, 2015

My Top 5 Covers of 2015

It’s that time of year again. The time I round up all of the books and decide which covers really stood out and which ones had me in a state of awe.


Unfortunately, 2015 hasn’t been the greatest year for me—cover-wise. I haven’t been too terribly impressed with some of the designs. I think it’s because a lot of publishers are moving away from cover models and more to inanimate objects, but I like the cover models better.

So, for this post, I will simply be giving you exactly what the title says: My Top 5 Covers of 2015. These are all 2015 releases. Also, I may not have read the book yet, so please don’t spoil anything in the comments. Thanks!

I decided to only do five books because there aren’t a lot of 2015 releases that had my eyes going “Oooooo,” so narrowing it down to five was just easier. I do have some honorable mentions to name, though. The two book covers that came so very close to being in my Top 5 are, in no particular order, Frozen Tides by Morgan Rhodes and Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas.

Now, onto the real Top 5!

Death Marked by Leah Cypess

Like I said, normally I don’t like the inanimate object on the book cover, but this tower/castle building thing is so beautiful. And that purply-pink color is gorgeous. I love this one more than the first book’s cover, and that one was pretty too. I also love how the soft pink color is mixed in with the grays. It gives the book an earthy feel, but it’s still magical. Plus, I really like the typeface choice for the title. I’m not a huge fan of the covers with just large typography on them. I like something else to feast my eyes on, so this title font suits me well.

Check out my review of the book.

Reborn by Jennifer Rush

It’s hard to find a book with a boy cover model on it. I think the only genre that really has this is contemporary YA, and most of the time there’s a girl in the picture, too. I like that the books in this series have boys on the covers, simply because those boys are a central part of the story. Now, their shirtless state is just an added bonus. Although, the second book’s cover had a really young looking boy on it. I didn’t find that appealing. But the gray-scaled background with that amazing blue color behind the font is just beautiful (the other books have orange and green and are just as pretty).

Check out my review of the book.

A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas

I haven’t read this book, nor do I own it, so I don’t know if it’s as pretty in person as it is on my screen, but I’m betting it is. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the background and the way the cover model is positioned. She’s mimicking Sleeping Beauty’s position, without actually being prone and lifeless. I also really like the dress she’s wearing. I think I have a weakness for book’s with cover models in white dresses (*cough* The One by Kiera Cass *cough*). And the gold lettering really stands out against the cover image, without detracting from it.

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Okay, I think it’s obvious why I had to put this cover on my list. This thing is so fantastically lovely. The silver and the red and white with the black lettering. I swear I have a drooling fit every time I look at it. You would think an upside-down crown all by itself wouldn’t cause so much cover lust, but it does. It just does.

Check out my review of the book.

Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

Yes. This is it. My #1 cover of 2015. Why? Because it’s gorgeous. It’s light purple and dark purple and more purple! I love purple, just in case you hadn’t noticed. I mean, I’m sure it’s not obvious with my blog being the color it is, or anything. I have to admit that I didn’t really see the appeal of the first two books’ covers, but this one. This one is just begging me to pet it. A lot.

***

I almost forgot, I have one more cover to share with you. This is the cover that I believe to be the worst of 2015.


Every Last Breath by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I don’t think this one would have been so bad if it hadn’t been for the fact that I actually really liked the first two books’ covers. When Harlequin Teen announced the cover change, I think I died a little inside. I’ve seen a fan-made version on Goodreads and it looks so beautiful. Right now, this book looks so plain and blah, and that is definitely not what the inside of the book is like.


I really hope another cover change for all three books happens sometime in the future—a better one.

***

Well, there you have it. Those are the best book covers of 2015. Of course, these are just my opinions (but they’re the right opinions. Jk. Mostly.), so feel free to disagree. If you do disagree, or if you have other covers you’d like to share some love for, feel free to do so in the comments! I love seeing beautiful book covers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!