Saturday, February 24, 2018

Stacking the Shelves: The Surprisingly Odd Edition

 "Stacking the Shelves" is a weekly haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality. It allows book buyers to share their accumulation of books with the online book-loving community.

This week has been an odd one. Not bad, or at least, not all bad. It’s just been odd. First of all, I’m still sort of sicky. I’m mostly fine. I just have a runny nose in the mornings. However, randomly sometime between Tuesday and Wednesday, I managed to injure my back. Like my nose, it's also okay now, but it was strange that the injury happened at all. I also had an exterminator come to try and kill the mouse that’s living in my wall. (Still unsure if the mouse is dead or not.)

I actually had some surprise things happen this week that balanced out those awful things. Most of the surprises are book related. Okay, so all of the surprises are book related.

The Traitor Prince by C.J. Redwine
Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann
Song of Blood and Stone by L. Penelope

I bought three books this week, and I was surprised by three others. The Traitor Prince is one I bought during my lunch break at Barnes & Noble, simply because I wanted to treat myself. As for the other two, Macmillan was having a free book giveaway for Black History Month. They let everyone grab an ARC and one finished book on a first-come, first-serve basis. I snagged these two. They sound pretty good.

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice & Virtue by Mackenzie Lee
Sightwitch by Susan Dennard

These two books feature another bought book and a surprise book as well. The Gentleman’s Guide was a random purchase made on the same day as The Traitor Prince, only this time from Amazon, when I realized The Gentlamen’s Guide would soon have an award sticker on the cover. I love that authors and books get awards, but I hate when they put the sticker on the cover. I’m still bitter about not buying The Hate U Give before they put a sticker on that one. *sigh*

As for Sightwitch, I actually entered a raffle at work and won. It was a total surprise because I entered the raffle last week, so I thought I’d lost. They have these giveaway raffles once every few weeks or so, and this is my first time winning one.

 An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

Oh! I almost forgot! I also nabbed a copy of An Ember in the Ashes on Kindle whenever it was $2.99. Because of the cover redesign, I figured I’d go ahead and read the book as an ebook before purchasing the entire series in the new covers. Now, if I don’t like the series, I don’t have to waste my money buying a $10 paperback or a $18 hardcover (if they rerelease the hardcover with the new cover).

Well, there you have it. My surprisingly large book haul.

What books have you bought/received lately?

26 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your back! I hope you start feeling better soon, and have a not-so-odd week coming up! Yay for all the fun books in the mail. I got the 3 for $30 YA deal from Barnes N Noble so those three that I bought arrived.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing a lot of people take advantage of the 3 for $30 deal. Hope you enjoy your books!

      Delete
  2. Aww I hope you feel better soon :) And wow what a haul! I so want to read LEt's Talk About Love and A Gentleman's Guide. But guess what, they are still so costly here :(
    I hope you enjoy all of your new books :) Have a lovely weekend!

    My STS: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/02/stacking-shelves-18-time-big-haul/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you can't get copies of LTAL and GG. That's terrible. :(

      Delete
  3. Nice haul, Song of Blood & Stone is there in my STS post too! (see here)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You sure got a lot of awesome books here, especially Song of Blood and Stone!

    Here’s my Stacking the Shelves!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are feeling better. I love the cover of Song of Blood and Stone - but I think it has something to do with my fave color being purple and wanting the cover model's hair! Hope you love all your books and yes, award stickers stink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite color is purple too! That's why I had to show off this week's purple haul. ;)

      Delete
  6. Sorry you're still sicky but cheers to some awesome books being snagged! I hate stickers on books too and cover changes I have the first two ember books in hardcover and am mad the last one won't match. Hope you enjoy all the goodies! My Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I'm mad, but I do like the new covers better (it took me a whIle to get there). I'm going to read Ember and decide if it's worth rebuying those books with the new covers.

      Delete
  7. I hope you get to enjoy your books, and it ALWAYS good to buy (surprise) books for yourself!!
    http://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/02/stacking-shelves.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you love all your new books! I still need to read Gentleman’s Guide and An Ember in the Ashes.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is quite the haul! A lot of great books here. I love it when I get a surprise book win or freebie. I hope you love all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely bigger than I expected it to be. But what's a book lover to do..? ;)

      Delete
  10. OOh very nice!! Yeah, those stickers can be annoying even though I am always happy that a book I love wins awards! Lol! Though I do kinda wish I had the sticker for my Scythe, as I was trying to clean off some dirt, very very carefully, I still ended up damaging it. An award sticker would fix that up in a jiffy! Lol!

    And ohhh, I hope Sabaa's books get reprinted with the new covers as hardcovers! Though I don't know if they'd do that for two books. With Maas it was just the one and I think it took awhile. The same with Tahereh's. Just wonder how long I would have to hold out for!

    Hope you enjoy all the lovely new reads!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the fans' sake, I hope they reprint the hardcovers. I think I'll just wait for the paperbacks, though.

      Delete
  11. That sucks about your back. Hope you get better. Awesome you got some good books.

    Happy Reading
    JoLee
    Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better already. It isn't perfect, but I had it way worse last August. Now it's just a minor soreness.

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry about your back. Congrats on winning the raffle though! Thats pretty awesome!

    New Follower! :)

    My StS

    Brittani @ Hope, Faith & Books

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great haul! I only got e-books lately and your haul makes me miss buying some physical books - although I should read everything I own first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Same. Sunday's post is all about my newly implemented book-buying budget.

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!