Saturday, February 17, 2018

Stacking the Shelves: The Lost, Then Found Edition

 "Stacking the Shelves" is a weekly haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality. It allows book buyers to share their accumulation of books with the online book-loving community.

I had another good book week. My Book Outlet order finally arrived. I had to pick it up at the post office. Normally, that wouldn’t be such a big deal, but in NYC it takes at least an hour to walk to the post office and wait in line and walk back. Plus, I have to go on Saturday, since the post office is only open from 9-5. Not to mention I had no idea where my package was for almost an entire week. Ugh.

Alright, I’ll stop complaining about the US postal service. But, other than that minor hiccup, it’s been pretty quiet. My roommates and I celebrated Galentine’s Day by eating fried chicken at Blue Ribbion Fried Chicken, and I, once again, have gotten a cold. But yeah, just a typical week in the life of Rachelle.

The Valiant by Lesley Livingston
The Incquisition by Taran Matharu
Rise of Fire by Sophie Jordan
Freedom’s Slave by Heather Demetrios
The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Gray
Starfall by Melissa Landers
The Winner’s Kiss by Marie Rutkoski

So this entire order was made because of The Valiant. There were only 16 or so copies left on Book Outlet (I think it’s back in stock now, though. Grr.), so I made an order. I had just finished Blood and Sand by C.V. Wyk, and I LOVED IT! Thus, I immediately wanted more gladiators in my life. Hence the need for The Valiant.

Freedom’s Slave is one I’ve been really wanting to read, once I reread book one and read book two. Rise of Fire, The Inquisition, Starfall, and The Winner’s Kiss just complete my collections. The Girl at Midnight isn’t one I’d normally buy, but the author is going to be at a signing I plan on attending later this month, so I thought I’d just throw it in my cart.

Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald
Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

As I’ve mentioned, I work at Tor. Luna is a book Tor publishes. It sounded good, so I got a library copy of it. As for Illuminae, the authors are coming to NYC in March for a signing, and I wanted to see if I liked the series enough to attend the event. We’ll see.

The Oddling Prince by Nancy Springer
The Eye of the Worlds by Robert Jordan

I got two ebooks this week. I’m very impress that I remembered to add them to this book haul. Normally, I completely forget about ebooks. The Oddling Prince is a review book from NetGalley, while The Eye of the Worlds was free from Tor.com if you subscribed to their newsletter thing.

Whew! That was a crazy haul. I need to take a nap now. Yeesh.

What books have you bought/received lately?

17 comments:

  1. I absolutely adored Illuminae and was surprised how quick it was to read it, considering its size! We have to walk an hour to get to town here, we're in a more rural area with rubbish bus services and I really want to move.

    Vee @ Under The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. That sounds awful! I couldn't imagine walking that far to get to town!

      Delete
  2. OOh nice!! I LOVED Illuminae as well! SO excited to meet the authors next month when they come on tour!! I love meeting authors who live internationally! It just makes it seem SO cool to meet them because it's sometimes harder to do so!

    Hope you enjoy all the lovely new reads!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met Amie earlier this year, and her accent is wonderful. She's hilarious too. ;)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed the Illuminae series. I will be going to their event here in the Bay Area in a few weeks. I was at an event of theirs a few years ago, and it was really fun. Not many people were there, so we just sat around and talked. I hope you like it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm hoping I like the first book, so I can see the authors. But at the same time, I don't need to spend more money on books. Lol

      Delete
  4. I am pretty sure the post office is a horrible experience pretty much everywhere. I don't remember last time I spent less than one hour waiting in line, I do everything I can to avoid getting packages at the post office.

    Enjoy reading all the book you got!

    Andreea @ cheekylines.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had to wait longer than 15 minutes in Missouri. Urban areas are just awful. Ugh

      Delete
  5. I’m glad you finally got your package. I read Illuminae when it first came out and really liked it. I hope you enjoy your books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, the mail can be so frustrating at times. Sorry you had to go through all that to get your books. I need to try a book with female gladiators. Sounds fun! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Female gladiators, or even gladiators in general, are awesome! And thanks!

      Delete
  7. It is frustrating when you have to go to pick up your mail. I sometimes have things shipped to my work to avoid issues. Nice Book Outlet haul! I hope you enjoy all of your new books, Rachelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about shipping any future Book Outlet hauls to work, but then I'd have to carry it back on the subway. I'm not sure which scenario is worse...

      Delete
  8. I've seen Illuminae but have yet to read, so I hope you enjoy. I did like Winner's Kiss and I hope you are feeling better. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Girl at Midnight is so good! I was hesitant about reading it too, but I'm so glad I did. I can't wait to hear what you think.

    Lauren @ bookslaying.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!