Thursday, February 15, 2018

Review: Immortal Reign by Morgan Rhodes

Immortal Reign
(Falling Kingdoms #6)
Publication Date: February 6, 2018
Hardcover, 400, Razorbill
Genres: YA, Fantasy

As two lethal elemental gods set out to destroy Mytica, sworn enemies must become allies in the final fight to save the kingdoms.

Jonas continues to willfully defy his destiny, but the consequences of plotting his own course are drastic. As the fight for Mytica rages on, he must decide just how much more he's willing to sacrifice.

Lucia knows there's something special about her daughter and she'll do anything to protect her, even if that means facing Kyan alone.

Amara is called back home to Kraeshia. Grandma Cortas has her own plans for Mytica's future. She promises Amara power, revenge, and dominance if she agrees to be part of her scheme.

Magnus and Cleo's love will be put to the ultimate test. Dark magic is causing widespread destruction throughout the kingdom. Enemies across the sea are advancing. And unrest is stirring throughout the land. Is their love strong enough to withstand the outside forces tearing them apart?

My Review

It’s been six plus years, and this series is now complete. It’s kind of sad that a series that has taken up almost a fourth of my life is finito.

I do have to say, though, I didn’t love this finale as much as I wanted to. It’s kind of weird actually, Falling Kingdoms was “eh” to me, while books two through five were great—minus a few parts involving Lucia in four and five—but this last book fell somewhere in between. It was just underwhelming for a YA fantasy six-book series ender. However, I need to preface this review by saying that I’m still giving it four out of five stars. I enjoyed it. I just didn’t love it like I wanted to.

I can’t really get into why I feel this way, since this is the LAST book, but I just wanted more angst and drama and death. And I got rainbows and happy times instead… It was strange that these three elements were missing, especially with the huge cliffhanger Crystal Storm left off on.

As for the characters, I thought they had some odd reactions to events. Cleo wasn’t as affected emotionally, Lucia wasn’t acting like a witch with a capital B, and Jonas was too forgiving. Like I said, I wanted more angst.

Despite the lack of drama, I’m okay with the ending. It wasn’t fantastic, so it won’t go down as one of my all-time favorite finales, but it also wasn’t terrible like some other YA novels (*cough* Allegiant *cough*). Overall, there was some action, some kissing, and a few comeuppances, so I’m pretty satisfied.

For anyone who likes Game of Thrones, Throne of Glass, or even historical shows like Reign or Outlander, this series is perfect for you!


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book for myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

2 comments:

  1. I have been seeing this series around and know that it is one that I should read. Too bad this final book wasn't exactly what you had hoped it would be. Glad you liked it overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good series overall. I'd recommend it.

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!