Thursday, January 4, 2018

Review: Starflight by Melissa Landers

Starflight
(Starflight #1)
Publication Date: February 2, 2016
Hardcover, 362 pages, Disney-Hyperion
Genres: YA, Sci-Fi

Life in the outer realm is a lawless, dirty, hard existence, and Solara Brooks is hungry for it. Just out of the orphanage, she needs a fresh start in a place where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. She's so desperate to reach the realm that she's willing to indenture herself to Doran Spaulding, the rich and popular quarterback who made her life miserable all through high school, in exchange for passage aboard the spaceliner Zenith.

When a twist of fate lands them instead on the Banshee, a vessel of dubious repute, Doran learns he's been framed on Earth for conspiracy. As he pursues a set of mysterious coordinates rumored to hold the key to clearing his name, he and Solara must get past their enmity to work together and evade those out for their arrest. Life on the Banshee may be tumultuous, but as Solara and Doran are forced to question everything they once believed about their world—and each other—the ship becomes home, and the eccentric crew family. But what Solara and Doran discover on the mysterious Planet X has the power to not only alter their lives, but the existence of everyone in the universe...

My Review

Good sci-fi adventures are hard to find in today’s fantasy-ridden YA world; yet, Melissa Landers managed to add another fast-paced, page-turner to that small corner of the YA category.

 Starflight is a fun read that I assume is a lot like the television show Firefly. (I’ve never watched it. Yikes.) I’d also compare it to the sci-fi show Dark Matter. Because while there are two main protagonists we follow in this installment, there is a fun cast of side characters.

Solara is a capable, downtrodden girl with dreams of starting over as a mechanic in the outer realm, while Doran is a rich jacka$$. Okay, so he doesn’t stay a rich jacka$$. He actually has some pretty good character development. They both made some awful decisions, but I very much enjoyed reading their chaotic journey go down.

As for the plot of the story, it was an action-packed mess. And I totally mean that in a good way. The mess was an incredibly hilarious good time for me to read, not so much for the characters to experience. I never really knew what was going to happen next, and, although it was fast, I never felt like the storyline was rushed.

While the story was great, I didn’t feel connected enough to the characters to give this a five-star review. It was just a fun space read that would be a great addition to any YA sci-fi lover’s shelves.


2 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked this one, Rachelle! I have it sitting on my bookshelf and hope to get to it soonish. It sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!