Monday, March 12, 2018

NOPE. Book Tag

So I’ve been reading a lot, which should mean that I have reviews to post, right? Well, not exactly. I’ve been reading a lot of books that aren’t releasing for another five to seven months, which means I won’t be sharing my reviews until closer to their release dates. Thus, I decided to do a tag post today to fill the slot between Sunday’s post and tomorrow’s Top Ten Tuesday.

This particular tag was created by A Booktube Book, and it’s called the NOPE. Book Tag. It’s all about things you just say NOPE to.

***

1. NOPE. Ending: A book ending that made you go NOPE either in denial, rage, or simply because the ending was crappy.

I don’t want to spoil anything, but the ending of Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer was awful. Cremer tried to redeem her mistakes in the spinoff book, but the series was canceled or something.


2. NOPE. Protagonist: A main character you dislike and drives you crazy.


Let’s go with a recent one. Theo from Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian. She was like America Singer from The Selection only worse.


3. NOPE. Series: A series that turned out to be one huge pile of NOPE. after you’ve invested all of that time and energy on it, or a series you gave up on because it wasn’t worth it anymore.

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. Don’t like Warner, so I stopped after the second book.


4. NOPE. Popular pairing: A “ship” you don’t support.

I think the ships for Red Queen are about half and half, but I am Team CAL all the way. Team Maven is the worst. :P


5. NOPE. Plot twist: A plot twist you didn’t see coming or didn’t like.


The way one of my favorite characters acted in The Chosen by J.R. Ward made him my least favorite character after that book. Grr…


6. NOPE. Protagonist action/decision: A character decision that made you shake your head NOPE.

I’m sure there have been a lot of these over the years. I just can’t recall any off the top of my head. Maybe Zoey from the House of Night books and her decision to sleep with her teacher. Yuck.


7. NOPE. Genre: A genre you will never read.

Magical realism. Don’t like it.


8. NOPE. Book format: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition

I’m not sure if I really have a format I hate… I guess if a cover change happened in the middle of the series, I’ll wait to buy the entire series in hardcover. But other than that, I’ll buy pretty much any format.


9. NOPE. Trope: A trope that makes you go NOPE.

This is kind of a random small trope, but I hate the girl-cuts-her-hair-because-she’s-emotional trope. It’s just dumb, in my opinion.


10. NOPE. Recommendation: A book recommendation that is constantly hyped and pushed at you that you simply refuse to read.

A lot of people recommend ACOMAF. I’m still upset about the Tamlin thing though, so not sure it’s going to happen.


11. NOPE. Cliche/pet peeve: A cliché or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes.

Summaries of events versus showing the events. Show the reader what happened, don’t just tell them.


12. NOPE. Love interest: The love interest that’s not worthy of being one. A character you don’t think should have been a viable love interest.

Can I just make a list? Shay from Nightshade by Andrea Cremer, Warner from Shatter Me, Rhysand from ACOTAR, and whoever the guy was that America Singer’s daughter ended up with in the spinoff series (I don’t feel like even trying to look up his name)


13. NOPE. Book: A book that shouldn’t have existed that made you say NOPE.

If I say Allegiant, is that too cliché? It’s not the ending death scene that I hated. It was the terrible POV switches and the making the world Roth had set up in the first two books fake in the last book. You can’t just create an entire fictional world, and then claim it doesn’t exist in the last book.


14. NOPE. Villain: A scary villain/antagonist you would hate to cross and would make you run in the opposite direction.


Ramsay Bolton. Okay, so I haven’t read the books, but gosh, he’s terrifying. And a psycho.


15. NOPE. Death: A character death that still haunts you.

It’s kind of spoilery, so if you haven’t read Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer, look away!

Ren’s death was atrocious. He deserved so much better than that terrible ending.


16. NOPE. Author: An author you had a bad experience reading and have decided to quit.

Lauren DeStefano’s Wither trilogy started off good with the first book, but after that things just went downhill. I highly doubt I’ll pick up any of her other books.

***

Alright, there you have it. That’s the NOPE Book Tag. What are some of your answers to these questions? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!