Monday, August 15, 2016

The Book Adaptation Tag

I don’t do tag posts very often, but I had the perfect answers to this one. For this tag, I’ll basically just be picking a book that I feel would work well as a particular adaptation (i.e. a movie or TV show).

As for the specifics of the tag, it was created by Monica over at the booktube channel shemightbemonica, and I first saw the tag on Sam’s Thoughts on Tomes channel. I wasn’t actually tagged by anyone, but I really wanted to do this.

So let’s get this thing started!


Book to Movie Adaptation



The Arcana Chronicles by Kresley Cole

This one was kind of hard, simply because there’s a lot of YA movie adaptations out there that have missed the mark. I thought maybe doing something a little different and pushing together a bunch of books from one series into one singular film would help. Thus, my answer for this is The Arcana Chronicles books, starting with Poison Princess. I think this series has been optioned for a TV show, but the books are so short that I just feel like a movie could wrap things up better.



Book to TV Show Adaptation


The White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter

It took me all of five seconds to find an answer to this question: The White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter. I would kill to see Ali and Cole on the small screen kicking zombie butt and antagonizing each other as much as possible. I also think the characters’ witty banter (*cough* Kat *cough*) would translate well on a network like the CW. I could kind of see something in the tone of The Vampire Diaries crossed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer with zombies, of course.

Gosh, now I really want this show. Someone make this happen!




Book to Cartoon Adaptation



Like the movie question, this one was a little harder than the others. At first, I wanted to say The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, but then I realized I would rather see a younger-feeling series as a cartoon, so I ended up choosing Percy Jackson and the Olympians, plus the numerous other spinoffs Rick Riordan has out right now.

I’ve never been as big of a fan of the PJ series as some people, but I did manage to recognize how “eh” the movies were. A cartoon would allow for the creators to really stick to the storyline as well as create some more effects involving powers and whatnot.



Book to Graphic Novel/Comic Adaptation


Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

I don’t actually read a lot of these, so even though I’m going to answer the question, I wouldn’t necessarily purchase something like this. That being said, Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo would make a good graphic novel. Why? Because it was rather difficult for me to picture the Ice Court escape and infiltration as it was happening. Yes, there’s a map towards the front of the book, but it wasn’t very helpful as I was reading. A graphic novel would easily allow me to picture the setting as well as get a better idea of what the characters’ actions are.

As for the second installment in the duology, I think it would be rather easy to make another graphic novel to help illustrate everything in Crooked Kingdom as well.



Book to Play Adaptation


Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

My answer to this question stems from the new Harry Potter and the Cursed Child craze. As most of us know, Rainbow Rowell’s Carry On is a sort of fanfiction of Harry Potter, even though it isn’t about Harry Potter at all. With the relationship between Scorpius and Albus having been so adorbs in the play script, I’m betting a script of Carry On with Simon and Baz would be just as entertaining. And, even though this book disappointed me a bit, I believe Simon and Baz’s relationship and journey would transfer much better in play form.

I would be concerned though, with how this script might be a little too familiar to the Harry Potter world. I'm not sure... I could see some people arguing that its a rip off of HP, and, thus, not allowing it to be adapted. Oh well, at least I don't have to make those kinds of decisions.



Book to Musical Adaptation


The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

I was so freakin’ excited when I thought of this one. I mean, Shazi and Khalid singing together would just be da bomb! I’m picturing something along the lines of The Phantom of the Opera meets Aladdin. What do you think? Would The Wrath and the Dawn make a good musical? Its dark tone and adventurous storyline practically beg for it, in my opinion.

Oh, and as for The Rose and the Dagger, I would either try to somehow combine the two plays or just have a part two for people to see later on. I think I would rather there be a part two than try to cram all of the goodness into one jam-packed adaptation.


***

Well, those are my answers to the Book Adaptation Tag. Do you agree with them? Disagree with them? Have others that would make more sense? Let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!