Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
(Harry Potter #8)
Publication Date: July 31, 2016
Hardcover, 320 pages, Arthur A. Levine Books
Genres: YA, Fantasy

The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

My Review

What in the world can I even say? This is the EIGHTH HARRY POTTER BOOK! We never in a million years thought we would get this, but we did! And now it’s over, and I read it too fast, and I don’t know what to do with my life. *sobs*

I’m not sure how coherent this review will be. I really just wanted to share my thoughts so I can see them later. I never wrote reviews for the original Harry Potter books when I read them (in a galaxy far, far away, many years ago), and I wish I had something to show me what I thought at the time. So, here we go…

First off, it was absolutely amazing to be back in the Wizarding World! So much love for the characters! I even enjoyed the new additions—Albus, James, Scorpius, and Rose. Unfortunately, we didn’t see much of the other offspring; however, getting to see Harry, Ron, and Hermione all grown up and parenting was so weird! I strangely just wanted more of their day-to-day routines, simply to see what their lives are like.

As for the real plot of this play script, it was definitely different from the Harry Potter books. It had a lighter tone (of course, that could be because of the form it’s written in), and the characters are struggling with issues that are (sort of) separate from the ones Harry went through. Albus and Scorpius’s misfit-itus is ridiculously relevant to every one of us, and Harry and Draco’s inability to connect to their kids is very relatable. I do wish Harry hadn’t said certain things though. It made me very upset and sad for poor Albus. On the complete opposite spectrum, Scorpius is just an adorable, magnificent character, don’t you agree?

Because of all this lack of communication and feeling-sharing, Albus and Scorpius make some poor choices. (I’m really trying not to spoil things here, can you tell?) These choices lead to a very strange and disturbing revelation that I’m not quite sure how to feel about. I didn’t expect Rowling to go where she did with Voldemort’s you-know-what, but once it was mentioned, I immediately knew what the you-know-what was. However, I had fun getting to the end and watching characters connect once again.

All in all, I think seeing the play live would be 10 times better than reading it alone in my room in the wee hours of the morn, but I still very much enjoyed every second of this fantastic addition to the Harry Potter world. And, while I know Rowling said there will be no more, I’m crossing my fingers and making wishes on stars that another book will be released in the future.

*Note: I purchased a copy of this book for myself (as did most of the world's population).

1 comment:

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!