Thursday, August 4, 2016

My Thoughts on the Wonder Woman Trailer

I thought I’d share my thoughts and feels about the new Wonder Woman trailer. In case you haven’t seen it, I’ve posted it below:


I’m a little late on sharing my thoughts about the trailer, but I’ll just let you know that before its release at Comic-Con I was kind of “meh” about the WW movie. After the trailer, I’m “GAAAAAH” about the movie. My reasons for this change of heart mostly deal with how kicka$$ WW is. Oh, and there’s also Chris Pine. ;)

The opening scene is both intriguing and hilarious, but the main underlying theme throughout the trailer (and hopefully throughout the movie) is that women and girls can kick butt just as well, if not better than men. You can see in practically every non-Themyscira scene how the men underestimate her because of her biological sex. They don’t underestimate her for long, though.

Additionally, the power shown for the Amazons is incredible. I honestly can’t wait to see just how they are portrayed throughout the rest of the film. Other than television, I can’t really think of a movie that had female characters who were just as strong/stronger than the guy heroes. It’s about dang time that changed.

And that line, the “What I do is not up to you.” Holy cow! So much love. So much. As much as I’m adoring Chris Pine and his witty banter, I love how Gal Gadot took his character down a peg. Oh, and the slavery/secretary bit was simply beautiful.  

Now, although I do love a lot about this trailer, I have a few minor qualms. My first involves Gal Gadot. While I don’t dislike her as Wonder Woman, I just wish they had cast someone stockier and bustier. I feel like DC is trying to make all of the male superheroes (Batman, Superman, and Aquaman) so buff, chiseled, and masculine that they take up too much space, while Wonder Woman is thin and doesn’t take up as much room as them—thus, she appears less imposing when in actuality, she’s almost as strong as all of them.

My other minor issue is the whole in-the-past deal. I understand that this is how Wonder Woman’s story goes, but it’s weird seeing the past when we’ve already seen her in the future. That’s what originally made me hesitant about getting excited over this film.

All in all though, my issues have been set aside for the bada$$ery I fully expect to see watching Wonder Woman do her thang.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited about this movie! I didn't have a lot of thoughts about it and then I saw this trailer...and I can't wait! I grew up on Wonder Woman and I like this new darker version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really watched/read WW stuff. I wish I had though...

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!