Saturday, January 23, 2021

Stacking the Shelves: The Wrong Cover Edition

"Stacking the Shelves" is a weekly haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality. It allows book buyers to share their accumulation of books with the online book-loving community.

 I decided to use a different book service in order to support sellers that aren't Amazon, B&N, etc. And for this particular purchase, I very much regret it.

So I made an order on ThriftBooks for Find Me Their Bones by Sara Wolf, as I read Bring Me Their Hearts, the first book in the trilogy, this past December and really enjoyed it. Before I get into the story, know that there was a cover redesign for this trilogy when the third book, Send Me Their Souls, released. Because I have the first book with the original cover, the plan was to get the second book, Find Me Their Bones, in hardcover with the original cover as well. Then, I'd just get book three as an ebook, since I'm not a huge fan of the new black and white cover design for this trilogy (as seen above for book two). Well, ThriftBooks didn't get the memo, and they ended up sending me a hardcover copy of Find Me Their Bones with the new cover. I didn't even know Entangled was making hardcover copies of the first two books with the new cover designs.

Unfortunately, I can't return the book, so I'm stuck with the ugly, non-matching cover. Now, I have to decide if I want to go ahead and purchase all three books with the new covers, try to re-buy Find Me Their Bones with the original cover, or just get rid of both copies and never re-read them again. Honestly, the third option might be what I decide to do (after I've read book two, of course), unless I just love the last two books in the series. It's such a mess. I'm never ordering from ThriftBooks again. I'll stick to a business that allows for returns.




More From Blood and Ash fan art arrived this week. I ordered all of them on Redbubble except the one in the top right corner, which I ordered off Mercari. It's a Dominique Wesson print that was exclusive to a Dreamy & Co. box. Because I'm obsessed with this series and Dominique's art, I paid way too much money to get myself a copy of this print. Yikes.

What books have you bought/received lately?

8 comments:

  1. That's a bummer! I hate when sites show off the "wrong" cover and send you something else. It's one thing if they plan to give you what they show, but don't show the old cover if you're sending the new one, and vice versa. What you *could* do if you wanted was try to buy from Amazon--if they had the old cover--and then return the new cover. I've done strange buying scenarios like that when I get sent damaged books. I mean if you're mailing me a book with a rip in the cover--no matter how "minuscule" you can bet I'm returning it and getting a replacement. That's why I like buying my books in person when I can. But yeah, I'll definitely stay away from that site, because they essentially sent you the wrong thing and that they won't allow for returns/exchanges that's bad customer service on their part when they didn't even comply with proper business protocol.

    I hope you enjoy the story anyway. I never read this series myself, but will admit I thought the original covers were pretty! I did notice they changed the paperback for the first book slightly too before this redesign and thought that weird. Can't understand why publisher think kickass girls wearing dresses is so "wrong?!"


    My StS will be up tomorrow, so stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they redesigned this series' covers because the cover artist for the original design wouldn't work with them, so at least it wasn't the publisher's fault this time. I guess. But yeah, cover changes are a b*tch. Lol.

      Delete
  2. I love that cover!! I am kind of a cover snob and I try not to be, but I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a terrible cover, but it's just not the one I prefer. :(

      Delete
  3. Oh no, I hate mismatching covers! So annoying. It's really not good that they don't allow returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a bummer. Guess they just won't be getting my business again. *sigh*

      Delete
  4. I completely understand. I was rather disappointed by the cover change with this series. I understand that they just couldn't get the artist for the third book but the original first two covers were so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard that about the artist! It sucks that this was a case where we could've gotten matching covers, but the artist wouldn't work with the publisher. How sad.

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!