Wednesday, January 6, 2021

My 2020 Wrap-Up

Wow! 2020 is finally over! While 2021 isn't looking much different so far, I am hoping things will get better after this first month. However, before I get into the future, I need to discuss the past. Specifically, all of the books and book-related stats associated with my 2020 reading year!

Books Read in 2020


As many of you know, I had a really rough reading year in 2019. I only read 10 books total that year. It was awful. This year, I read 75! Now, for some reason my Goodreads Year in Books isn't showing the correct number of books I read, which is really frustrating and disappointing, but my 2020 reading challenge confirms I read 75. The book that is missing from my 2020 recap is Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout, which was technically a re-read. Same for Yasmine Galenorn's Witchling, Embrace by Jessica Shirvington, and Kresley Cole's Shadow Seduction.

I'm not going to list out every single book I read in 2020, but I do have some fun stats to include.

In 2020, I read:

📚 32 fantasy books
📚 24 paranormal/urban fantasy books
📚 13 sci-fi
📚 6 contemporary



📚 42 young adult
📚 33 new adult/adult

📚 51 physical books
📚 24 ebooks



📚 30 books owned pre-2020
📚 45 books acquired in 2020
📚 4 rereads



📚 Finished reading 8 series that I started pre-2020.
📚 Started 25 new series in 2020 (some of which I don't plan on continuing with).
📚 Started and finished 6 series in 2020.



📚 My highest rated books at 4.5 stars each: The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty; The House in the Cerulean Sea and The Extraordinaries by TJ Klune; Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall; A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire, Brave, and Storm and Fury by Jennifer L. Armentrout; and Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson.
📚 My lowest rated books at 2 stars: The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo and The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi.

Books Bought in 2020


In total I bought 91 books in 2020. Twenty were ebooks and 71 were physical books. This came out to under $1,200. Normally, I try to spend less than $1,000 a year on books. I guess since I didn't spend as much on books in 2019, it makes up for it. However, I am surprised this came out as under $1,200 with my new subscriptions to FairyLoot and Owlcrate as well as the amount of money I spent on fan art, which is also included in this amount. I do cancel Owlcrate on months I don't like the theme, however, so that probably helped keep the total low. I also only renewed my Owlcrate subscription in August and started my FairyLoot one in May.

My 2020 Reading Goals

Other than reading 30 books, I had a few small goals set when I started getting back into reading earlier this year, back when the pandemic first started. They weren't major goals, because I didn't want to overwhelm myself, but they were goals I'd had for a while now. (See my 2020 reading goal post for more info.)
 

My first goal was to read 15 books I owned prior to 2020. I ended up reading 30 books I owned prior to 2020, so that goal was checked off. Goal two was to finish A Game of Thrones, which I did. Goal three was to complete the Violet Eden series by Jessica Shirvington, and I did that too. My last goal of 2020 was to read some end-of-series books, specifically the ones pictured above. I ended up reading all of them except The Blood of Olympus. For The Blood of Olympus, I actually tried to read it, but I couldn't get back into the series, so I unhauled it and gave it to my younger cousins. Amazingly, I accomplished all of my four 2020 goals! It was a great year. I have loftier goals for 2021, so we'll see how that works out, but 2020, despite its terribleness in every other aspect of life, was good for my personal reading time.

***

Okay, well, that’s the summary of 2020, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last year? If so, share in the comments! Also, stay tuned for my 2021 reading goal post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!