Thursday, January 14, 2021

My Thoughts on Wonder Woman: 1984

I thought I’d share my thoughts and feels on the DCEU’s new Wonder Woman: 1984 film. In case you have no idea what I’m talking about (How is that possible?), I’ve posted the trailer below.


Where do I start with this disaster of a movie? I guess I'll begin with what I liked about it, so I don't come off as an angry troll. And be warned, SPOILERS are inevitable.

The beginning scene is all about young Diana entering an Amazonian competition on the Themiscrya. Unlike a lot of people, I loved this scene. Maybe I'm a sucker for any storyline featuring the awesome Amazon women. Honestly, I'd love a whole show about them with or without small Diana. HBO Max, make it happen!


I also really enjoyed the mid-credit scene at the end of the movie. (Technically it's a mid-credit scene, but there isn't an end-credit one, so....) However, I felt that the entire purpose of that mid-credit scene was undermined by the fact that the golden armor Wonder Woman wore played no real role in the storyline whatsover.

Now, onto the dislikes. One, is the plot, which was boring and convoluted. A wish stone combined with a business mogul who wants to take over the world does not captivating television make. I also, unlike many, didn't think Pedro Pascal's acting was all that great here. Kristen Wiig's as Cheetah on the other hand, I very much enjoyed despite the script being ridiculously stupid. Also, can we stop depicting women who wear glasses and can't walk in heels as nerds? Barbara, aka Cheetah, worked in the Smithsonian for Pete's sake. All of her co-workers were nerds. She's also a skinny attractive white woman in the '80s.

But wait! The dumbness of the plot thickens. Chris Pine comes back as Steve Trevor, but he does so in someone else's body! And since Diana sleeps with Steve, she also sleeps with this guy's body. Non-consensually. Where's this dude's conscious? Does he know he slept with Diana? From the ending it doesn't seem so, but yikes. This plot point could have been written any other way, but Patty Jenkins, writer and director, chose to go this route.

Back to the boring and confusing parts of the story again, the wish stone apparently has no consistency. The businessman played by Pascal also just runs around trying to improve his career aspirations, and I guess he can interpret the wishes however he sees fit? Because some of the wish stone wishes he grants are not exactly what the character making the wish asked for, especially in the case of Barbara. Who also kind of got a second wish when you're supposed to technically only get one. Oh, and somehow Diana can fly now? And turn things invisible? Which makes no sense in the continuity of the DCEU since she couldn't fly or produce invisibility in Batman v. Superman or The Justice League. And let's not talk about how the Smithsonian just happens to have fully-functional planes laying around.

All in all, this movie is a hot mess. I am so disappointed in it. Since Wonder Woman was the only thing holding the DCEU together, in my opinion, I feel like this film did a great disservice to her character and her future appearances. Do yourself a favor, do not watch this movie. It's not worth risking your health for in theaters, and it isn't worth the price of an HBO Max subscription. If you already have HBO Max, sure, go for it. Just know that it is nothing like the first film and, in this case, that is not a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!