Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Review: Winter by Marissa Meyer

Winter
(The Lunar Chronicles #4)
Publication Date: November 24, 2015
Hardcover, 824 pages, Feiwel and Friends
Genres: YA, Sci-Fi, Fairytale Retelling

Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?

My Review

It’s over. Finito. There’s no more full-length Lunar Chronicles. How sad.

As most everyone probably has read this book already, I’m not going to go into a super in-depth review. There are just a few things I want to say before I forget everything I read.

First off, I really loved the characters in the first two books of this series. Cinder, Scarlet, and Wolf are amazing. However, I don’t feel as attached to Cress, Thorne, and Kai. I like Thorne and Cress, but I feel like with all of the action that happened in the book Cress, there wasn’t a lot of room for me to feel connected to those two. Thorne is funny, though. But Kai is worthless until the very end of this book.

I did really enjoy Jacin. I wish there had been more about him and his feelings and backstory in Winter. Unfortunately, with all of the point-of-views floating around, there was very little room for character development for the new characters. And that’s where Winter comes in. Winter was a terrible character. She barely did anything but act like a whacko throughout the story. I think if her chapters were taken out, very little would be missing from the plot.

And that brings me to another point: the book was way too long. I kept trying to ask myself what scenes could be taken out of it to make it shorter, but I couldn’t think of any specific ones. I think some aspects just needed rewritten so it could be at least 200 pages shorter.

Despite my complaining, I did enjoy this book. Wolf and Scarlet’s love story makes me so happy inside. And Iko and her eccentric personality always had me smiling. And Cinder’s bravery and take-charge attitude kept me on the edge of my seat. Err… bed. Who reads in a chair?

All in all, there were a few things that I didn’t enjoy in this conclusion, but for the most part, it was a good ending to a great sci-fi series and I’m excited to see what else Marissa Meyer has in store for us.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book for myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!