Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Review: Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan

Untold
(The Lynburn Legacy #2)
Publication Date: September 24, 2013
Hardcover, 367 pages, Random House
Genres: YA, Paranormal

It's time to choose sides....

On the surface, Sorry-in-the-Vale is a sleepy English town. But Kami Glass knows the truth. Sorry-in-the-Vale is full of magic. In the old days, the Lynburn family ruled with fear, terrifying the people into submission in order to kill for blood and power. Now the Lynburns are back, and Rob Lynburn is gathering sorcerers so that the town can return to the old ways.

But Rob and his followers aren’t the only sorcerers in town. A decision must be made: pay the blood sacrifice, or fight. For Kami, this means more than just choosing between good and evil. With her link to Jared Lynburn severed, she’s now free to love anyone she chooses. But who should that be?

A darkly humorous take on Gothic romance, Sarah Rees Brennan's Lynburn Legacy weaves together the tale of a heroine desperate to protect those she loves, two boys hoping to be saved, and the magical forces that will shape their destiny.

My Review

Three words to describe this book: magical, gothic, and mysterious. You could also add in spunky and angsty, as well.

Kami and her gang of friends are back to take on the evil sorcerers in their small town with only their wits and a few powers between them. And when I say wits, I mean sarcasm and wild ideas. Kami’s plans are always pretty far out there and are never fully explained, but I always have a fun time seeing them pan out. The laughs her and her friends cause are often those of the out-loud variety. It also helps that these laughs are smooshed between two hot guys: Jared and Ash. Although I’m Team Jared all the way.

Kami is still her strong-willed and snoopy self. And her logic is fantastic! Kami tells off Ash for something that made me want to cheer and shout! Sarah Rees Brennan deals with sexist comments and homosexual relationships amazingly! All of her points told through her characters’ dialog are beautiful.

Moving back to the Jared and Ash love triangle, I have to say that I got a little annoyed with Kami and the two guys in this book. It wasn’t terrible, but there was a lot of relationship angst when all I wanted was for Jared and Kami to talk to each other! So many issues could have been solved if the characters would communicate more. The characters did communicate, they just kept circling around the real issues and having long, drawn out conversations that had me zoning out sometimes. (Of course, I could have gotten distracted because I was reading this book during Christmas when my family was in the next room.)

Also, the plot of the book was a little slow. The big event didn’t happen until the end, so basically everything leading up to that point was just conversation and teenage angst. However, the angst was, for the most part, entertaining. I do wish the magic system would be explained a little more, though. I didn’t understand why certain actions couldn’t be taken and why bad things would happen if so and so took over.

All in all, this book is a good sequel and the cliffhanger ending has me craving the last book like caffeine addicts craves their morning coffee.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book for myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!