Sunday, April 17, 2016

My Thoughts on the Allegiant Movie

I finally managed to watch Allegiant. I’ve been so behind on my movie-watching lately. It’s kind of ridiculous.

In case you haven’t seen the Allegiant trailer for some strange reason, I’ve posted it below:


I knew going into this film that hardly anything was going to be the same as the book. I accepted that with a very happy mind because I loathed Allegiant the book. (I have many reasons for this that don’t just include the ending, but that’s a post for another day.) And, for the most part, I’m happy with the movie. I have a list of things that were strange and awkward, but I felt things were infinitely better in the film than they were in the book.

I’ll start with the bad so we can get those little issues out of the way and get to the good stuff. Sound good? First off, there was some weird sci-fi technology in this film. The plasma bubble things are just ridiculous, and the shower scene goop… That stuff just ain’t right. Also, sometimes the tech, like the ships and the guns, were a wee bit cheesy-looking. Not always, but sometimes. My second issue revolves around Four’s mother. Now, she did look slightly older in this movie compared to Insurgent, but she still appears too young to be Four’s mom. Not a big deal, but still a small point against it.

Okay. Well, that’s really it for the bad. On to the good.

While Allegiant the film’s plot wasn’t the most unique one, I still really enjoyed it. Four managed to have some really kick-butt scenes which I couldn’t/didn’t want to take my eyes off of. ;) Caleb managed to be way better in this movie than he ever was in the book, and, for some reason, even though I’m not Veronica Roth, I feel like this was more true to his character. Now, Peter, I was worried about him, but he ends up showing his true colors soon enough. Unfortunately, Tris didn’t have as many action scenes as Four and she didn’t really redeem herself in any way, but I think she did grow a little in this film. I won’t say how because that’s a little spoiler-y, but she does.

As for the rest, the dialogue was good, the outfits were cool (and I finally know why Four’s pants were that awful red in the trailer and on the poster), and the soundtrack was great. Everything was new and refreshing in regards to the world-building, and I’m excited to see what Ascendant brings. Although, I’m not sure what they’re really going to do with the part two adaptation.

All in all, this movie kind of felt like it was just using the same characters from the past two films, but putting them in a completely different world. And, I actually liked it. So if you’re worried that you may not enjoy this movie because of Allegiant’s ending or just the Allegiant book in general, I’d say give the movie a try. It’s actually pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!