Monday, July 13, 2015

Review: Reboot by Amy Tintera

Reboot
(Reboot #1)
Publication Date: May 7, 2013
Hardcover, 365 pages, HarperTeen
Genres: YA, Sci-Fi/Dystopian

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.

My Review

Functional, butt-kicking zombies? Sign me up! Okay, I guess I already did sign myself up or I wouldn’t be writing this review.

I have to be honest, I was nervous going into this book. I had heard a lot of good things and I didn’t want this to end up being something I couldn’t even finish reading. I hate those type of books. Fortunately, I got into it really fast. Tintera opens the book with action and closes it the same way.

The characters of the book were good, not great. Wren was strong, yet vulnerable. I think what confused me about her was how she was supposed to be this tough Reboot without emotion and when I read the story through her thoughts, it was obvious she had more emotions than even I did. I know that this was a plot point in the story, but I just felt like something didn’t add up. And Callum was kind of predictable. He’s cute and funny, but that’s all. He didn’t do enough for me to fall in love with him. Now, I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy Wren and Callum and their relationship playing out on page, I just wish I had had a little bit more.

The plot of the book was okay. It was kind of predictable at times, but everything was fast-paced, so I didn’t have time to dwell on that aspect. I also felt like everything just came together too easily for Wren and Callum. “Oh, you want escape a highly impregnable, government-run facility? Well, here’s your means of doing so.” That’s what it felt like 95% of the time. So while this book was a fast-paced, action-packed read, it could have been so much more than that, and I mourn the non-existent loss.

All in all, I’d say if you’re wanting a quick read to get you out of a reading slump, Reboot is the book for you.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book for myself.

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to check out this one for a while, so I'm glad to see that it's a quick read in case I don't like it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. You'll be done reading before you even realize it.

      Thanks for visiting! XD

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!