Monday, January 10, 2022

My 2021 Wrap-Up

Wow! 2021 is over! It's been a crazy year. Between moving, starting a new job, and just having a lot more stress in my life, I'm ready to put this year behind me. However, before I get into the future, I need to discuss the past. Specifically, all of the books and book-related stats associated with my 2021 reading year!

Books Read in 2021


This year, I read 66 books! Now, this isn't as great as last year, which was 75, but it's a good solid number. Especially since I did end up moving to a new city, starting a new job, and having a lot of stress about buying furniture, a new phone, etc. Now that I'm all settled, I expect I can reach 75 or more in 2022, though I'm not holding myself to that number. I'm setting my 2022 reading goal at 30, like always.

I'm not going to list out every single book I read in 2021, but I do have some fun stats to share.

In 2021, I read:

📚 40 fantasy books
📚 12 paranormal/urban fantasy books
📚 10 sci-fi
📚 4 contemporary

📚 42 young adult
📚 24 new adult/adult

📚 46 physical books bought/received
📚 16 ebooks bought/received
📚 2 physical library books
📚
2 library ebooks

📚 2 graphic novels

📚 37 books owned pre-2021
📚 29 books acquired in 2021
📚 13 rereads

📚 Finished reading 5 series that I started pre-2021.
📚 Started 17 new series in 2021 (some of which I don't plan on continuing with).
📚 Started and finished 2 series in 2021.

📚 My highest rated books at 4.5 stars each: The Last Watch by J.S. Dewes and Blood & Honey by Shelby Mahurin.
📚 My lowest rated book at 1 star: The Covenant by Aron E. Coleite.

Books Bought in 2021


In total, I bought 89 books in 2021. Eight were ebooks and 81 were physical books. This came out to under $1,900. This is a lot more than last year, but to be fair, I bought quite a few special edition boxes for FBAA in 2021, so hopefully, this won't be repeated. However, FairyLoot is coming out with an adult subscription, which is going to definitely hurt my wallet. But the real issue is my swag spending. I have a fan art addiction that I need to quench, as $1,500 on mostly FBAA art is just too much for one year's sum. I'll be cutting back a lot in 2022. Oh, and because I bought 89 books but only read 66, I have to get rid of 23 books in early 2022. I already have a whole bin ready to go, so I'm not too worried about it. I just need to find the time/energy to make it to a used bookstore.

My 2021 Reading Goals

Other than reading 30 books, I had a few small goals set for the year. They weren't major goals, because I didn't want to overwhelm myself while I was trying to find a new job, but they were goals I'd been thinking about for a while. (See my 2021 reading goal post for more info.)
 

My first goal was to read 20 books I owned prior to 2020. I totally failed that goal, as I ended up reading 10 (not counting rereads). The next goal was to read 10 books I bought in 2020. I ended up reading seven, so another failure. But it was pretty close. The third goal was to read A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin, which I did. So success! The fourth goal was to read more new adult/adult books, which I failed at. I wanted roughly half to be adult. However, I ended up trying to read a lot of my TBR back list, which, unfortunately, is mostly YA. My fifth goal was to purchase fewer than 75 books. Completely botched that one. But the sixth goal was to re-read more, and I did! I re-read 13 books, so yay! I'll try to hold myself to more of my yearly reading goals in 2022. But really, I'm just trying to get through those backlist TBR titles.

***

Okay, well, that’s the summary of 2021, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last year? If so, share in the comments! Also, stay tuned for my 2022 reading goals post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!