Monday, February 27, 2017

My Thoughts on the Beauty & the Beast Trailer

I thought I’d share my thoughts and feels about the new Beauty & the Beast trailer. In case you haven’t seen it, I’ve posted it below:


Okay, so I have to admit that I was super pumped about the cast when I originally heard who was playing which character. Now, though, I’m having a few doubts. While I still love the idea of Hermione, err… Emma Watson playing Belle, I’m not making the mental connection between the two in this trailer. Hopefully, though, that’s just because it’s a trailer, not the film. Also, if you’d like to see Emma singing “Belle,” I’ve linked that for you. I enjoyed it, but, again, I have my doubts.

As for the rest of the cast, I like Luke Evans, despite some people I know (*cough* my sister *cough*) not approving of his lack of a barge-like build. Unfortunately, Ewan McGregor’s French accent for Lumiere is tripping me up. Oh, and so is Chip’s. He doesn’t have an accent, but the voice isn’t right. Ian McKellan as Cogsworth is fine, and most of the other cast is good. I guess I just really want the voices from the cartoon for this film, but that’s obviously not going to happen.

My biggest problem comes in the form of what the animated characters look like. The Beast doesn’t look beastly. He looks like a well-groomed, CGI antelope. I need him to be scruffy and dangerous looking. Fortunately, I do very much like the actor they got to play him. Sadly, in my opinion, Mrs. Pots, Cogsworth, and Lumiere also look strange. I guess I thought those three would look more like their cartoon selves. I was kind of hoping they would, actually.

One thing that is on point, though, is the music. LOVE IT. Of course, most of it’s from the original version, so not a whole lot could go wrong there. Additionally, Belle’s more intense and dramatic scenes are very well done. I guess I’m just a little iffy on Watson’s more light-hearted scenes in the beginning of the trailer and movie.

All in all, I love the castle, the scenery, most of the cast, and the nostalgia. I really want this movie to be awesome, as it and The Jungle Book are really setting the standard for how I feel about all of the upcoming live-action Disney movies. (Aladdin, Lion King, and Mulan, here I come!)

Let me know your Beauty & the Beast thoughts in the comments!

4 comments:


  1. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie and therefore I was really upset at first when they announced a live action film. Some of the remakes/live action films that have come out in the last couple years have sucked in comparison to the originals. Also, there's something special about the original animated version. I love Emma Watson but, I was not too happy with her choice as Belle. I also didn't like the first few trailers that were put out.

    I know... a lot of negative thoughts... but....

    This latest trailer has given me a small dose of hope. I heard a version of Emma singing that was so overly auto-tuned, she sounded horrendous. I think she sounds pretty good in this latest trailer though which makes me less weary.

    Lauren @ bookslaying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your pain. While I love the originals, I get excited seeing real-life actors playing the iconic roles. I just wish everything would be how I pictured it should be. Haha.

      Delete
  2. I do want to see this movie but I doubt that I will like it more or even as much as the original animated film.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!