Tuesday, February 7, 2017

My Thoughts on Doctor Strange

Like yesterday’s post, today’s is a little bit late. Doctor Strange was released last fall, but I’m just now sharing my thoughts on the film. Ugh. #sobehindonlife

In case you know nothing about the film that I’m talking about, go ahead and check out the trailer below.


As for what I thought of the film, I’ll try to make this quick. I’ve heard that this movie got a lot of praise from various critics and the box office, and I’m glad. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as impressed with it as I wanted to be. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it. I just was expecting a little bit more from Disney’s Marvel after seeing Captain America: Civil War.

Okay, I know I shouldn’t compare the two films. Civil War and Doctor Strange are completely different, as one has an already-established cast while the other is vamping a whole new world for us. However, I expected to love Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange a little bit more than I did. He was fun, but I wanted more of a Sherlock vibe from his character, and I think he went in a different direction than that.

I also thought the storyline was a little slow at first. There was a lot of Strange having self-pity and being a total jerkward, but once he got over his slump, I was captivated. Even Tilda Swinton managed to keep me interested. Towards the end, it was a lot like Inception mixed with the magic style of The Magicians (the whole finger and hand movements thing).

I was impressed with the cinematography and the overall magic system, but I think fans might have to separate the Avengers films from Doctor Strange for the time being. At least until the new Thor: Ragnorak movie comes out. I think that movie will open up the magic idea more so Strange connects to the overall established world a little better.

All in all, definitely watch the movie if you’re invested in the Avengers franchise, but don’t expect it to feel like an Avengers film just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!