Saturday, June 25, 2016

Stacking the Shelves: The Traded, Gifted, and Subscribed Edition

"Stacking the Shelves" is a weekly haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews. It allows book buyers to share their accumulation of books with the online book-loving community.

Lots of books this week. Lots. I only bought one of them, but it was a very expensive book. You’ll see why in a bit.

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley

I went to my local used bookstore and used up some of my trade credit to get these two books. I’ve heard mixed things about both of them, but I thought I’d give them a try.

Firstlife by Gena Showalter
The Problem with Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Red Rising by Pierce Brown
Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

These were part three of my graduation gift from my sister and her husband. Many thanks to them. (I’ve actually already read all of the books they bought me except two.)

My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows

I decided to test out the Owlcrate subscription box because I liked the Royalty theme. I also had a very strong feeling that MLJ was the book that would be in the box. I love Hand and Ashton’s other books, so I thought, “Why not give it a try?”

Unfortunately, I was unimpressed with some of the box’s contents for the price I paid. Some was good (the book, cute bookmarks, Disney figure), some was eh (Red Queen card, Lunar Chronicles bracelet). I was really excited about a particular item that was supposed to be based off a book I LOVE, but it didn’t live up to my expectations. For that reason, and because I know what next month’s Good vs. Evil book will be, I cancelled my subscription.

What books have you bought/received lately?

3 comments:

  1. Those are some amazing graduation gifts :)

    Wishing you a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've liked to try Owlcrate especially knowing what this month was likely to be but the international postage costs are horrific when added to the high price of the box. So I won't ever be trying it unless a cheap UK version appears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I didn't know Owlcrate was based in Canada, so I got an extra $.90 fee for purchasing something outside the country. I wasn't happy.

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!