Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Review: Traps and Trapezes (Nightwing Vol. #1)

Traps and Trapezes
(Nightwing Vol. III #1)
Publication Date: October 10, 2012
Paperback, 160 pages, DC Comics
Genres: Comic, Superheroes

Dick Grayson flies once again as Nightwing! And as he embraces his destiny, Haley's Circus, the big top where Dick once performed, returns to Gotham City: bringing with it murder, mystery and superhuman evil. Nightwing must confront his past among former friends and enemies from his circus days, while uncovering a greater evil.

Collects Nightwing #1-7.

My Review

This is the second—and probably last—DC comic book I’ve read. I don’t have anything against DC, I’ve simply realized comic books are not my thing. I knew this before buying both this one and the Red Hood and the Outlaws comic, but I thought I could beat my own preferences. I like reading my stories, not trying to read and interpret images and figure out the order of the thought bubbles.

That being said, this comic was good. It simply wasn’t my thing. Dick Grayson is still the lovable Nightwing and ex-Robin that a lot of us have grown to love, and his good-guy personality really shines. Furthermore, his character development provided me with an aspect to the story that the Red Hood and the Outlaws comic didn’t. Additionally, I liked how this comic went back to the roots of Dick’s origins. I love comic book backstories. I also really enjoyed the small appearances of members of the Bat Family. (I wish those scenes had been longer though.)

As for the plot, it was a little slow through the middle, but things really picked up towards the end. I was ridiculously surprised by the revelation a certain Bat Family member gives Dick. If this were a book series instead of a comic series, I’d probably be ordering the sequel right away. However, as I’ve explained overly much, comics and I just don’t mix.

All in all, if you’re a fan of comics or even graphic novels and a fan of Batman and/or Nightwing, I’d suggest giving this one a try. Although, who am I kidding? If you’re a fan of Batman, you’ve probably read this already.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this comic for myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!