Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books to Read If You're in the Mood for Fantasy


I have decided to join the awesomeness that is Top Ten Tuesday! This feature/weekly meme was created here by The Broke and the Bookish to highlight bookish things in bookish lists. How’s that for specificity?

This week’s topic is “Ten Books to Read If You Are In The Mood For X” and for my post, I decided to go with fantasy, just because I’m in the mood for some fantasy so I thought some of you might be as well. I’m going to share some less popular fantasy reads with you. I know Red Queen and Throne of Glass are great, but you’ve already heard so much about those, I figured something new was in order.

Now, onto the Top 10!
Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Okay, so technically this book is historical fiction, but it’s about Robin Hood! Robin Hood’s a fantasy all unto himself, right? Even if you love fantasy and are iffy on historical fiction, I’d encourage you to give this trilogy a try. Plus, all of the books are already out. ;)

Fall of a Kingdom by Hillari Bell

This isn’t your typical YA fantasy. There’s no romance and it actually reads like an adult fantasy trilogy. If the characters were older, then I would classify it as such. The characters in this book go through some crazy stuff and have to make some difficult choices. That’s what really dragged me into this book.
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Gosh. I read this series so long ago that I can barely remember what all happened. What I do remember, though, is that this series is a very fun in-between middle grade and YA read. Each book is told from a different perspective, but the world is the same. If you’re looking for a book about a young boy thief on a new adventure, then you should check this book out.
Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat

I’ve been going gaga over this series since it was available for free on the author’s website. Now it’s in book form and I couldn’t be happier. This series features gay main characters in a fantasy setting! It also is kind of like a New Adult/Adult Romance. I’m not exactly sure how to categorize it. Nevertheless, it’s amazing.

Because I put the original Merlin books on here (see #5), I have to include the spin-off series. Now, you don’t have to read the original books to read this trilogy, but it could help you understand what’s going on. But this book has magic, adventure, and some very interesting secrets…
The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron

LOVE THIS SERIES! If you love King Arthur or any retelling of Merlin, the Knights of the Round Table, etc., then you will love this five-book series! It’s got action, adventure, surprise revelations, and so much more! Please, please, please, go check it out.
The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

This series is fantasy at its finest. There’s magic, complicated plots, queens, kings, wizard schools, and so much more!
The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski

The hype for this book is kind of up there, and sometimes I agree with it, sometimes I don’t, but the second book in the series, The Winner’s Crime, is fantastic! If you’re like me and you found yourself not too terribly impressed with book one, just keep reading.
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

Oh my gosh! Every time I see this book I fall in love with it all over again. There’s a heart-stopping romance, crazy-awesome secrets, and a fierce heroine to rock your socks off!

To better understand why this book made it onto this list, check out my review.
Defiance by C.J. Redwine

I really wish this trilogy wasn’t over. It’s actually supposed to be a dystopian, not a fantasy, but it reads so well as a fantasy book. There’s strange monster-ish creatures, barbaric customs, and some kick-ass characters. Plus, Logan’s just about as cute as the boy next door can get.

***

Well, there you have it. Those are the top ten fantasy books I’m recommending to you. You should definitely give them a go! If you have other fantasy books you’d like to mention, feel free to do so in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!