Thursday, March 3, 2016

Review: Kings Rising by C.S. Pacat

Kings Rising
(Captive Prince #3)
Publication Date: February 2, 2016
Paperback, 352 pages, Berkley
Genres: Adult, Fantasy, LGBT

Damianos of Akielos has returned.

His identity now revealed, Damen must face his master Prince Laurent as Damianos of Akielos, the man Laurent has sworn to kill.

On the brink of a momentous battle, the future of both their countries hangs in the balance. In the south, Kastor's forces are massing. In the north, the Regent's armies are mobilising for war. Damen's only hope of reclaiming his throne is to fight together with Laurent against their usurpers.

Forced into an uneasy alliance the two princes journey deep into Akielos, where they face their most dangerous opposition yet. But even if the fragile trust they have built survives the revelation of Damen's identity - can it stand against the Regent's final, deadly play for the throne?

My Review

It’s over! This beautiful fantasy trilogy is over! What am I going to do with myself now that Laurent and Damen are no longer a part of my reading life?! Wallow. That’s what.

This book starts off right where book two left off. This is great because I didn’t remember a whole heck of a lot from the previous books. I completely forgot some of the side characters’ names, as well as the places. (It’s been years since I read the first books, don’t look at me like that!) Although, I did notice that Damen is just as conflicted and sexy as he’s been in the past and Laurent is just as snarky and mischievous. I honestly didn’t realize how much I missed the two until I read the first page of Kings Rising.

Everything up until this point has been ridiculously hard for these troubled boys. They’ve been attacked, sold into slavery, and so much more, yet everything is kind of coming together. Maybe it came together a little too easily, though… All of the events just tumbled into each other like dominos and there simply didn’t seem to be a lot of hardship to get there. Don’t get me wrong, there were some difficult tasks and battles, but none of them really screamed “We’re at war!” to me.

I think this story is really just a fun fantasy read. It’s not light-hearted because it deals with some very difficult subject matters (rape, slavery, etc.), especially in the first two books, but there was more action-y fun than angst.

All in all, this was a good addition to a really great fantasy story. Now that it’s over, all I can hope for is that C.S. Pacat writes some more beautiful LGBT stories in the future.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book for myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

2 comments:

  1. I will need to keep an eye out for this series. It sounds really interesting and I always love a good fantasy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good lgbt fantasy series, just heed the warnings. :)

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!