Thursday, December 19, 2013

Review: Wrecked by Priscilla West


“There would be no happy ending for us. He was too damaged. I was too broken.”

Two years ago, Lorrie’s mother was murdered. But that wasn’t the end of it. Reeling from the tragedy, Lorrie’s father spiraled into alcohol, depression, and finally suicide.

The two most important people in Lorrie’s life are both gone but she’s still alive.

Trying to recover from the tragedy, Lorrie returns to campus, ready to pick up the pieces of her life. All Lorrie wants is to get back to “normal.”

Then she meets Hunter. The man, the legend, “the Hammer.”

Hunter is a cage fighter who takes on every fight like he’s got nothing to lose. His life is a tangled mess of girls, booze, and fist fights. And while it may seem like he’s got a devil-may-care attitude, he’s fighting a private cage-match with a monster he can’t defeat.

Lorrie knows that Hunter is the exact type of guy she should stay away from, especially in her fragile state, but Hunter has other ideas.

As Hunter and Lorrie grow closer together, will they be able to overcome their pain and heal each other? Or will they both end up wrecked?

My Review:

This is going to seem really mean, and I don't entirely want it to be, but this book is one of the reasons I've stopped reading New Adult.  At first the story was good, we meet both characters, Lorrie and Hunter, in a nontraditional way and their relationship is cute (I loved the hockey game scene). But, less than a quarter of the way through, things take a turn for the worse.

Lorrie is extremely confusing. I understand that she wants some space due to her parental situation, but whenever she starts complaining about not having a relationship with Hunter, she hasn't even mentioned her parents since like thirty pages ago (about a week or so in the book's time). Then, when she finally decides to date Hunter, she just throws all of her doubts out the window. Her entire demeanor seemed bi-polar. And, West never even mentions what Lorrie looks like. I think she might have blonde hair, but I don't know.

When the main couple does end up hooking up, all they do is have sex. This was about halfway through the book and I was so tired of it that I just started skipping the sex scenes. And just because you make your main characters college students does not make your book New Adult. The scenes in this thing were raunchy. If someone talked to me like that whenever we were being intimate, I'd freaking castrate them. 

Another thing that bothered me was the repeated idea of "gossiping." I'm a college student and I know for a fact that you walk by hundreds of students each day who have no clue who you are. Just because Lorrie's situation was on the news did not mean that people would know who she was and what happened to her. Plus, a lot of college kids don't watch the local news. So all of these people who knew Lorrie and Hunter and kept talking about their relationship and yadda yadda made me really mad because that is absolutely not how college works.

Lastly, there are the kittens. This isn't a major deal, but those kittens seem to only be alive whenever the author conveniently needs them to be. If the main characters aren't feeding them, petting them, etcetera, those kittens don't move. They sleep. 

So, I know this is a huge rant, but this book just made me really angry. Plus, it's the first book in a long time that I had to actually skip parts of in order to finish. If you don't mind all of the things that are listed above, then this book isn't a bad choice for you, plus the ending was actually pretty good. But, it does have a major cliffhanger to set up Book #2, so be prepared.


*Note: I received a copy of this book to review from Netgalley. This in no way altered my opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!