Sunday, February 28, 2016

Review: Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

Glass Sword
(Red Queen #2)
Publication Date: February 9, 2016
Hardcover, 444 pages, HarperTeen
Genres: YA, Dystopian/Fantasy

Mare Barrow’s blood is red—the color of common folk—but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control.

The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from Maven, the prince—the friend—who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling: she is not the only one of her kind.

Pursued by Maven, now a vindictive king, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red-and-Silver fighters to join in the struggle against her oppressors.

But Mare finds herself on a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the kind of monster she is trying to defeat.

Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal hardened her forever?

My Review

Oh this book. I feel like that about sums up my feelings, but I guess I’ll explain a little more for those who haven’t read it yet.

Glass Sword picks up right where Red Queen left off. And I mean right where it left off. This immediately got me back into the headspace I needed in order to remember what happened in the first book. Plus, it really helped that there was a ton of action right off the bat. Gotta love me some superpowered people doing superpowered-people things.

The plot of this book was just as compelling as the first book except for a few small areas that I found to either drag on or just simply not go the way I wanted them to. I won’t explain further because I don’t want to spoil anyone, but there was some slow parts towards the middle-endish of the book. It was nothing that would ever make me want to put the book down, it was just a little whiny and repetitive. I understand Mare has a lot on her plate, but I think her inner monologue got in the way a bit in a few scenes.

Despite this small complaint, Mare’s character did grow a lot throughout this book. She went from a scared girl running for her life to someone who is the complete opposite of that. However, I wasn’t sure I liked her character development towards the very end of the book. I guess I’ll know for sure by the time the sequel comes out, but for right now, I’m on the fence. As for my main squeeze Cal, he actually became a very fleshed out character and not simply “the love interest” within these pages. Yes, some of his character’s motivations remain a mystery, but for the most part, readers get to see an in-depth side to someone who was just an attractive enigma before. I love him! Err… it. I love it. Even though sometimes I disagreed with his decisions and favored Mare’s, or vice versa, I loved witnessing their arguments because each had good points. No one in this series has all of the correct answers and I think that’s what makes the story so compelling. I think some of the side characters like Shade, Farley, and Mare’s family, really helped bring this idea home.

There was also more technology and more powers in Glass Sword which helped shape the world-building aspect. I did find it odd however, that some of the newer superpowered people didn’t know how to use their powers when they’d lived with them their whole lives. That seems like a minor plot hole to me… And also, that ending! I really don’t know how I feel about Mare’s situation at the very last page of the book. It kind of weirded me out. Hopefully that situation wraps up quickly in book #3.

Also, just in case you didn’t see my wrap-up post from Aveyard’s signing event, book #3 is going to have dual POVs! I’m conflicted over this because I suspect Cal’s POV will be added. I really don’t want this to be like Allegiant’s Four, however, I’m excited to potentially see into Cal’s brain and know his feelings for Mare, if he is the new POV.

All in all, this book is an action-packed, mind-numbingly good addition to a series I can’t wait to finish. Let’s just hope I make it to 2017 before I die of anticipation.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book for myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you liked this book so much! I really need to get to this series soon. My signed copies are just begging me to read them but I am overloaded with ARCs for the next couple of months. Hopefully this summer I can fit them in. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! I couldn't wait that long. I guess it helps that you don't know what you're missing yet... :)

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!