Friday, August 7, 2020

Review: Ravensong by TJ Klune

Ravensong
(Green Creek #2)
Publication Date: July 31, 2018
Paperback, 400 pages, Dreamspinner Press
Genres: Adult, Paranormal

Gordo Livingstone never forgot the lessons carved into his skin. Hardened by the betrayal of a pack who left him behind, he sought solace in the garage in his tiny mountain town, vowing never again to involve himself in the affairs of wolves.

It should have been enough.

And it was, until the wolves came back, and with them, Mark Bennett. In the end, they faced the beast together as a pack… and won.

Now, a year later, Gordo has found himself once again the witch of the Bennett pack. Green Creek has settled after the death of Richard Collins, and Gordo constantly struggles to ignore Mark and the song that howls between them.

But time is running out. Something is coming. And this time, it’s crawling from within.

Some bonds, no matter how strong, were made to be broken.

My Review

I have to be honest. When I first read that Gordo was the narrator for the second book in the Green Creek series, I wasn’t super excited. I was much more invested in the younger pack members’ lives than Mark and Gordo’s. But boy, did TJ Klune blow those feelings out of the freaking water. I was pleasantly surprised by how much Gordo and Mark grew on me by the end of this book.

I do have to admit that the first 30% of Ravensong is slow. Not because it’s bad, but because a lot of it covers events that took place during Wolfsong, just from Gordo’s POV. I really enjoyed the young Gordo flashbacks, but the other scenes weren’t my favorites. I was very happy when we caught up to current events a third of the way through the book, so the plot could really start rolling.

The pack is just as crazy in the sequel as they were in the first installment. They’re a tight-knit group, and they all seem to have problems staying out of trouble. Especially Mark and Carter. Mark because he’s protective of Gordo, and Carter because he’s… well, he’s Carter. Speaking of Carter, he meets someone in this book. Someone seemingly very important. And I adored their scenes. Carter is such a dork.

Overall, this book was super twisty and unexpected. The ending also shocked me, something I rarely expect to happen in urban fantasy stories. If you’re a werewolf addict like me, this is a fun m/m romance series you need to add to your TBR. You won’t regret it.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!