Saturday, May 23, 2020

Stacking the Shelves: The Curse of the Stickers Edition

 "Stacking the Shelves" is a weekly haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality. It allows book buyers to share their accumulation of books with the online book-loving community.

I’ve been bad. Very bad. There have been so many orders placed in the past few weeks. So very many.

The Girl the Sea Gave Back by Adrienne Young
Lady Smoke by Laura Sebastian
The Queen’s Resistance by Rebecca Ross
The Defiant by Lesley Livingston
As She Ascends by Jodi Meadows
Witch’s Pyre by Josephine Angelini
Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan
The Caged Queen by Kristen Ciccarelli
We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson

I placed a Book Outlet order a couple of weeks ago that finally arrived. Ten books for $61 is a major bargain. Most are sequels to books I already own or first books in series I’m going to start collecting until I can binge read all of the books at once. I’m too impatient to wait a year between books.

Unfortunately, though, this box came with some major issues. Three of the books had Wal-Mart stickers on the front, which meant using a hair dryer to try to peel them off. It didn’t work very well. There’s still sticky residue on Wicked Saints and Sorcery of Thorns. Plus, Wicked Saints is super dirty and dusty, and Lady Smoke and The Caged Queen came with small rips. Oh, and Witch’s Pyre’s dustjacket was all askew. I think it looks okay now, but it took a lot of finagling to get that thing straight.

I’ve never had such a rough looking order from Book Outlet. If this keeps happening, I may not order from there anymore. Of course, this could be a one-time thing, so I’ll keep checking to see if they have any books I need for cheap prices. I may re-buy Wicked Saints or Sorcery of Thorns from another store if they end up being books I love, just so I can have prettier copies.

Bonds of Brass by Emily Skrutskie

I almost forgot! I also got Bonds of Brass for super cheap on Kindle. I think it was $2.99! I don’t like the cover for this one, so being able to pick it up as an ebook to see if I like the book enough to purchase physical copies of the rest of the series is financially savvy, in my opinion.

What books have you bought/received lately?

4 comments:

  1. Ugh... I hate it when you find that other people don't look after their books like you do yours! I just wish our second hand book shops will open up again... but with the lock down being NEVER ENDING I don't know when that will happen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I can't wait to walk into a bookstore again. (Though I don't need to be spending any more money. Lol)

      Delete
  2. Yeah I reallllllly hate when books are sent covered in stickers. I'd look for Goo-Gone wipes or just plain old Goo-Gone. I couldn't find the latter, but came across the former and omg they work AMAZING to remove all that sticky sticker junk. After using one of those wipes, I use a damp paper towel to remove the rest of the Goo-Gone formula then quickly use a dry paper towel until I'm satisfied! They've worked wonders for me when I've had books that came with the evil stickers that don't come off easily. I mean...who does that? Create a sticker that you can't peel off of book covers easily? It's pure evil!

    I haven't ordered from Book Outlet in years myself. Mostly because I've the bad habit of buying books as they release due to preorder incentives. Lol Plus, I always feel like I'm gambling with them too. Like when they say "like new" and yet there's clearly wear and TEAR on the cover and pages. I mean, honestly...how do you define LIKE NEW or even "Good." It makes for a stressful shopping experience.

    I hope you enjoy all of your new reads!


    My StS will be up tomorrow, so stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Goo-Gone. I might have to invest in it. This is my first BO order in over a year, so I'm hoping it was just an unlucky batch. I have another book coming from them, so I'm crossing my fingers.

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!