Monday, June 29, 2015

Review: P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

P.S. I Still Love You
(To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before #2)
Publication Date: May 26, 2015
Hardcover, 337 pages, Simon and Schuster
Genres: YA, Contemporary

Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.

My Review

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is a beautiful story. I had barely finished it before I was ordering its sequel—that’s how good it is. Plus, I absolutely HAD to know what happened! I don’t understand how people who read the first book when it came out could wait so long to know the ending. I was dying just waiting two days! Despite my anticipation, I was let down when I read this book. I guess Jenny Han and endings just don’t mix.

The book starts out right where its predecessor left off. Lara Jean is trying to fix her relationship with Peter. And that was totally what I wanted to happen. What I didn’t want to happen was the sex tape drama. I LOATHE contemporary books that involve anything where private situations are shared online via social media. I cannot stand reading about it. I’ve figured up some reasons for this:

1) In my high school we only had one instance of this happening and it was immediately dealt with and no one actually saw anything.

2) Going along with my high school thing, most of the teachers and students would have been aggravated by the culprit or the post-er, not the victim.

3) I think this trope is overdone by authors who are older and don’t really understand what it’s like for teenagers in high school. They think that it’s all bullies and mean girls with phones and internet access. And that’s just not true.

So, once I knew that this book would be all about that ridiculousness, I immediately lost some enthusiasm.

I also didn’t like that this book made Lara Jean seem a little less like a regular teen girl and more of a girl set on revenge. Her entire storyline just didn’t add up to what I had pictured her personality to be.

I did like the part about the childhood friends getting back together, but the way it played out made me hesitant. John just wasn’t a character I cared to get to know about, I mean we’d already been introduced to two guys—Josh and Peter—and I didn’t want a third one in the mix.

All in all, this book let me down. Jenny Han always comes up with these amazing first and sometimes even second books but the finale always leaves me disappointed. I’d still say that you should pick up this sugary sweet duology, if only because the first book is so tooth-rottenly delicious!


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book for myself.

1 comment:

  1. I agree the sequel's vibe was quite different from the first one! To All The Boys I've Loved Before made me melt with how sweet it was. And I actually missed Josh in the second book. Even though I prefer Lara Jean and Peter, I still wish Lara Jean and Josh could have maintained their friendship better.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!