Tuesday, June 30, 2015

My Top 5 of 2015 (So Far)

We’re already more than halfway through June! Say what?! I guess since it’s that time of year I should go ahead and list my Top 5 Books of 2015 (so far). Oh, and keep in mind, these are books I’ve read in 2015, not ones that were released in 2015.

5. Unleashed
(Uninvited #2)
Publication Date: February 24, 2015
Hardcover, 368 pages, Katherine Tegen Books
Genres: YA, Sci-Fi

Davy has spent the last few months trying to come to terms with the fact that she tested positive for the kill gene HTS (also known as Homicidal Tendency Syndrome). She swore she would not let it change her, and that her DNA did not define her . . . but then she killed a man.

Now on the run, Davy must decide whether she'll be ruled by the kill gene or if she'll follow her heart and fight for her right to live free. But with her own potential for violence lying right beneath the surface, Davy doesn't even know if she can trust herself.

My Thoughts

I know this book is getting a lot of flak for changing love interests in the middle of the duology, but I didn’t mind. Of course, I wasn’t surprised by it since I saw so many angry reviews about it. That could have helped boost my opinion.

If you want to check out more of my thoughts, read my review.

4. Wicked
(A Wicked Saga #1)
Publication Date: December 2014
Paperback, 371 pages
Genres: YA, Paranormal

Things are about to get Wicked in New Orleans.

Twenty-two year old Ivy Morgan isn’t your average college student. She, and others like her, know humans aren’t the only thing trolling the French Quarter for fun… and for food. Her duty to the Order is her life. After all, four years ago, she lost everything at the hands of the creatures she’d sworn to hunt, tearing her world and her heart apart.

Ren Owens is the last person Ivy expected to enter her rigidly controlled life. He’s six feet and three inches of temptation and swoon-inducing charm. With forest-green eyes and a smile that’s surely left a stream of broken hearts in its wake, he has an uncanny, almost unnatural ability to make her yearn for everything he has to offer. But letting him in is as dangerous as hunting the cold-blooded killers stalking the streets. Losing the boy she loved once before had nearly destroyed her, but the sparking tension that grows between them becomes impossible for Ivy to deny. Deep down, she wants… she needs more than what her duty demands of her, what her past has shaped for her.

But as Ivy grows closer to Ren, she realizes she’s not the only one carrying secrets that could shatter the frail bond between them. There’s something he’s not telling her, and one thing is for certain. She’s no longer sure what is more dangerous to her—the ancient beings threatening to take over the town or the man demanding to lay claim to her heart and her soul.

My Thoughts

This book isn’t the best of JLA’s work, but it is still really great! I can’t wait to find out what happens in book #2!

If you want to check out more of my thoughts, read my review.


3. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
(To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before #1)
Publication Date: April 15, 2014
Hardcover, 355 pages, Simon & Schuster
Genres: YA, Contemporary

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

My Thoughts

This book would’ve made it to #2 on my list if it hadn’t been for the sequel. P.S. I Still Love You just wasn’t as good as the first book and it brought the whole duology down.

If you want to check out more of my thoughts, read my review.


2. Winner’s Crime
(The Winner’s Trilogy #2)
Publication Date: March 3, 2015
Hardcover, 402 pages, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Genres: YA, Fantasy

Book two of the dazzling Winner's Trilogy is a fight to the death as Kestrel risks betrayal of country for love.

The engagement of Lady Kestrel to Valoria’s crown prince means one celebration after another. But to Kestrel it means living in a cage of her own making. As the wedding approaches, she aches to tell Arin the truth about her engagement…if she could only trust him. Yet can she even trust herself? For—unknown to Arin—Kestrel is becoming a skilled practitioner of deceit: an anonymous spy passing information to Herran, and close to uncovering a shocking secret.

As Arin enlists dangerous allies in the struggle to keep his country’s freedom, he can’t fight the suspicion that Kestrel knows more than she shows. In the end, it might not be a dagger in the dark that cuts him open, but the truth. And when that happens, Kestrel and Arin learn just how much their crimes will cost them.

My Thoughts

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first book. I think I may have just read it at the wrong time, but this book was really good. I’m definitely looking forward to reading the third and final book!

If you want to check out more of my thoughts, read my review.

1. Red Queen
(Red Queen #1)
Publication Date: February 10, 2015
Hardcover, 383 pages, HarperTeen
Genres: YA, Fantasy/Dystopian

Graceling meets The Selection in debut novelist Victoria Aveyard's sweeping tale of seventeen-year-old Mare, a common girl whose once-latent magical power draws her into the dangerous intrigue of the king's palace. Will her power save her or condemn her?

Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood--those with common, Red blood serve the Silver- blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities. Mare is a Red, scraping by as a thief in a poor, rural village, until a twist of fate throws her in front of the Silver court. Before the king, princes, and all the nobles, she discovers she has an ability of her own.

To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard--a growing Red rebellion--even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction. One wrong move can lead to her death, but in the dangerous game she plays, the only certainty is betrayal.

My Thoughts

I don’t think this comes as any surprise if you’ve been reading my posts over the past few months. I LOVED this book! The world and the characters are just so freakin’ awesome! Book #2 needs to be in my hands RIGHT. NOW.

If you want to check out more of my thoughts, read my review.


***

Now that you’ve seen some of my favorites of the half-year, you should tell me what your favorites are in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!