Saturday, January 14, 2023

Stacking the Shelves: The Surprise! Edition

 "Stacking the Shelves" is a weekly haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality. It allows book buyers to share their accumulation of books with the online book-loving community.

It's only the second week of January and already my spending is out of control. Why am I like this?! But in general, this week hasn't been a bad one. It's been good. Nothing terrible happened, nothing crazy fantastical happened. I've just been sleeping, reading, working, eating, etc. Here's hoping next week is just as chill.


First up is a surprise! I love surprises! I don't get as many review copies as I used to, so receiving this paperback of The Bone Shard Emperor by Andrea Stewart, book two in The Drowning Empire trilogy, was amazing! I filled out Orbit's review form after I received the first book as a Christmas present to let them know I'd be willing to do a series review, and they sent me book two! And book three is on its way! I'm so excited!


Next up is an impulse buy. Someone was selling all three Wicked books on Mercari for $20, so I grabbed them. I owned the first book, Wicked, already, but not Torn and Brave. I figure it was cheaper to rebuy the one than buy the others brand new on Amazon. I still hate that the cover completely changed for book three, though. I mean, it looks so eh compared to the prettiness of the first two. That's why I held off buying physical copies for so long, even though I love JLA and collect most of her books. I wanted them to match on my shelves and was hoping new covers would release at some point. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with these.


Another impulse buy was the Serpent & Dove letter opener FairyLoot included in their November YA box. Of course FairyLoot includes a letter opener I actually want when I'm no longer subscribed to the full box. So I had to buy the tarot cards and this separately off Mercari. It's still cheaper to do that than to go back to purchasing a full box every month. Plus, most of the items are 100% things I do not have any use for. It's honestly pretty rare that I really like the extras in their boxes these days.


Here, I have some standees from the JLA Shop. These are the main couples from her Blood & Ash world: Sera and Nyktos and Poppy and Hawke. I'm a little disappointed that they don't have legs, as I love full-body standees, but they were still too pretty to pass up. I'm gonna have to buy the print versions of these later, too, as the print versions were even more beautiful. I only wish Kieran had been included. ;)


Up next, I have two ebooks. First is one I bought with a mix of Amazon credits and my own money. It's The Witch Collector by Charissa Weaks, which I already read and really enjoyed. It reminded me of FBAA mixed with the Plated Prisoner series. The author is going to ApollyCon, so I had to read her book before attending. I also got a NetGalley ARC of Gwen & Art Are Not in Love by Lex Croucher. It sounds super cute and fun.

And lastly, I have two Kindle Unlimited book: The Serpent & the Wings of Night by Carissa Broadbent and City of Gods and Monsters by Kayla Edwards. Fun fact, I thought both of these authors were attending ApollyCon, so I downloaded these two books from KU. Sadly, neither of them are going, but I'd still like to read their books, especially the first one. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Well, that's all for me. What books have you bought/received lately?

2 comments:

  1. OOoh very nice! I'm with you on the goodies from FL not being up to par these days. I too turned to book only when it became an option. The items can be fun...just not always something I need and sometimes I feel like the quality is really lowbar too. I've a box full of stuff I don't think I'd ever use, but thought maybe one day I'd try opening a Mercari account and seeing if anyone was ever looking for this or that. My only problem will be when there's an item I like and can't find it for resale anywhere...and FL doesn't seem to be selling extra items in the shop anymore so that's a bummer too.

    Nice reads too! I loved the Wicked Trilogy. I'll admit the covers aren't the best, I don't love them, but don't really hate them either. I thought the third cover was weird too at the time. I hope you enjoy your new reads and goodies!



    My StS will be up tomorrow, so stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really want the secret book that's supposed to be in January's box, if it looks good. But I'm not sure they'll sell it separately

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!