Thursday, January 11, 2024

My Top 10 Books of 2023

Another year over, which means another barrage of Top 10 lists for January. This list is for my top 10 reads of 2022. I read 101 books in 2023. That's great! I'm hoping to do similar numbers in 2023, but as long as I get over 50, I think I'll be fine.

Enough of the future talk though, let's take a look at the past. In this top 10 you'll notice a theme of fantasy/paranormal books. Only one contemporary allowed. Ha ha. And unlike previous years, most of these books are solid where they are at, meaning their rank doesn't change based on my mood. It was a decent reading year for racking up some favorites, so let's get started.

***

A River Enchanted by Rebecca Ross

This book was so lyrical and surprising. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. Jack is definitely my favorite of the four main characters, but the others all grew on me as well. And, while I didn't love the sequel as much, this duology will always be one I think fondly of.

Broken Bonds by J. Bree

Oh man, this series started off so strong with Broken Bonds and the first 2-3 sequels. Yes, it went downhill towards the end, but the worldbuilding is so fascinating. I loved the relationships between the characters and the powers were awesome! I just wish the books had slowed down a bit. The author was definitely rushing to complete the series towards the end.

Fall of Ruin and Wrath by Jennifer L. Armentrout

JLA's new book in her new adult fantasy series had its ups and downs for me. But I read it so fast that I couldn't not put it on this list. I devoured it in 24 hours, I believe. I loved the beginning of this book and the end of this book. The middle was a bit to slow-paced for me, but still, a great time overall.

A Soul of Ash and Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

You might be asking why ASOAAB is so low on this list. Well, it's because JLA promised something with this one that I don't think she delivered on. She said that there would be important storylines for book five in ASOAAB. And while there were a few chapters that were present day, 90% of the story was set in the past in Cas's POV. I just think she got everyone too hyped up for new information when the story was really just FBAA retold. I still love the characters, though, and the new info we did get was amazing!

The Jasad Heir by Sara Hashem

This Egyptian-based fantasy story is addicting. It reminded me a lot of The City of Brass, which I adore. I can't wait to read the sequel, whenever it comes out. I'm not even sure. But, my review for this one is up now, if you'd like to check it out.

Untainted by Lilian T. James

I didn't expect to love Untainted as much as I did. It was a book I read to prep for 2023's ApollyCon to see if I liked the author. Well, it's safe to say that I did. I met her and got my books signed. This series gave me major Heir of Fire vibes, if anyone is missing SJM right now.

Salt Kiss by Sierra Simone

The only contemporary title on this list. Wow. I went into Salt Kiss thinking I'd really enjoy it, and I'm happy to say it exceeded some of my expectations. I wouldn't think that a story about a mafia/political gangster type and his bodyguard would be a top 10 read for me, but I really liked it. I am worried the sequel won't quite hit the same, though, as it follows a different narrator. Ugh.


Mysteries of Thorn Manor by Margaret Rogerson

It's been a while since I read this one, so it's hard to discuss some of the details, but I know I laughed, I cried, and I just had the greatest time back in this world with the characters from Sorcery of Thorns. Do I wish this had simply been a full-length novel instead of a short novella? Absolutely. But I'm thankful for more, nonetheless.

Crossing Acheron by H.G. Birde

I downloaded Crossing Acheron on Kindle Unlimited on a whim, and boy do I not regret that one bit! This story had me sucked in immediately. I had a whole period of time this summer where dark, gritty vampire romance stories were consuming me, and this one just really hit the mark. Same with the next books on my list.

Silver Under Nightfall & Court of Wanderers by Rin Chupeco

I've already mentioned that this duology would be my favorite reads of 2023, so it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. This series had action, adventure, vampires, weird zombie creatures, and a cinnamon roll protagonist stuck in the middle of everything. I loved it so much, and I'm sad to see it end.

***

Alright, there you have it. My top 10 reads of 2023. What 2023 reads were your favorite? Let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh nice! I swear I am FOREVER behind on JLA's books! So vastly behind in the FBAA and spinoff series...they are so long and I read so slow! Lol! Haven't started her new series yet either AND add to that I have an old series of hers I keep saying I will read but can never seem to get to! I still need to read that Rogerson series...do we call it a series if it's a 1.5 length? Regardless I need to read that too! Lol!

    The rest are pretty much new to me ones! But glad you had a good amount of favorite reads last year!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!