Monday, January 8, 2024

My 2023 Wrap-Up

Yeesh! 2023 is over! I, once again, moved and went to ApollyCon, just like I did in 2022. However, this time I also went to Iceland instead of Disneyland. Sadly, I don't have more fun stuff planned in 2024, but I'm also looking forward to having some time off to focus on organizing my house. I might do that in the spring. However, before I get into the future, I need to discuss the past. Specifically, all of the books and book-related stats associated with my 2023 reading year!

Books Read in 2023

This year, I read 101 books! That's more than last year's 90! I honestly can't believe I read that much, but I guess it has a lot to do with Kindle Unlimited. Being able to download books I'm in the mood for at the push of a button has made reading a lot easier. Unfortunately, I'm going to get rid of my KU sub soon, so I can focus on my physical TBR. I'm still hoping I can reach around the same number in 2024, but I'm not holding myself to that. I'm setting my 2024 reading goal at 30, like always.

I'm not going to list out every single book I read in 2023, but I do have some fun stats to share.

In 2023, I read:

📚 28 fantasy books
📚 38 paranormal/urban fantasy books
📚 4 sci-fi
📚 28 contemporary
📚 3 historical fantasy


📚 10 young adult
📚 91 new adult/adult

📚 21 physical copies bought/received
📚 9 ebooks bought/received
📚 4 library ebooks
📚 4 e-ARCs
📚
63 Kindle Unlimited ebooks

📚 10 books owned pre-2023
📚  24 books acquired in 2023 (not counting KU)
📚 2 rereads


📚 Finished reading 2 series that I started pre-2023.
📚 Started 38 new series in 2023 (some of which I don't plan on continuing).
📚 Started 12 series in 2023 and caught up with the series in 2023.
📚 Started and finished 7 series in 2023.
📚 Continuing 6 ongoing series.

📚 My highest rated books at 4.5 stars: Silver Under Nightfall and Court of Wanderers by Rin Chupeco, Mysteries of Thorn Manor by Margaret Rogerson, Crossing Acheron by H.G. Birde.
📚 My lowest rated books at 2 stars: To Bleed a Crystal Bloom by Sarah A. Parker, Enchanted to Meet You by Meg Cabot, A Court of Honey and Ash by Shannon Mayer, American Prince by Sierra Simone, Violent Secret by Ariana Nash, Calamity by Constance Fay.

Books Bought in 2023

In total, I bought 152 books in 2023. This came out to over $4,380. Yikes! That's $1,300 more than last year. Oof. ApollyCon probably contributed to the first few months of damage. Oh, and those special editions are killing me. I'm not even reading them, so I'm not sure why I have the subs. I guess I need to do some major soul searching this year to decide if its worth spending all this money on books. This table doesn't even include my monthly Kindle Unlimited subscription. That was $9-12 each month. I also didn't think my swag spending was that bad, either. As I had a few months with pretty low amounts, some were even $0. But it still added up to almost $1,800, and I don't even remember if I got anything that was worth it. I'll be attempting to cut back a lot in 2024. 

Because I bought 152 books but only read 101, I have to get rid of 51 books in early 2024. We'll see how that goes, as I don't have a local used bookstore anymore, just a library to donate to. Plus, books don't really sell well online. Just to note too, I only included books I bought. This doesn't include books I received for free (e.g., gifts, review copies, free ebooks, etc.), so I actually acquired much more, but I don't want to calculate all that. I'm sure it's around 225 books. Additionally, some of the books I bought are duplicate copies, like FORAW, FBAA, Lux, Dark Elements, Red Queen, and other special editions, so I don't necessarily have to read all 152. I think I only spent money on 59 that I need to actually read. That's just insane. The rest I've either already read since I bought them or are special edition sets.

***

Okay, well, that’s the summary of 2023, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last year? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!