Monday, February 1, 2021

January Wrap-Up & February TBR

The first month of 2021 is over, and boy was it something. Now that at least some semblance of normality is back in the United States, there's only the one major pandemic obstacle left. *sigh* It's never going to end, is it? But, at least my job interview went well. I think....

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in January


Winter's Orbit: 3.5 stars (my review)
Cemetery Boys: 4 stars (my review)
The City of Brass: 4.5 stars (my review; reread)
The Kingdom of Copper: 4 stars
The Empire of Gold: 4 stars
The Invisible Life of Addie Larue: 3 stars (not pictured)

I read six books in January. One was an ebook and the rest were physical copies. Addie Larue was the last book I read in the month for my high school reunion book club, and it was also the only ebook I finished in January. I read Winter's Orbit via an ARC I received from Tor, and The Cemetery Boys was a book I got for Christmas. The big accomplishment here, though, is how I read all three books in the Daevabad trilogy this month, with The City of Brass being a re-read of course. I'm so happy I finished this series. While I didn't love the sequels as much as I adored the first book, the world is still so awesome and the characters so lovable that I couldn't give them any less than four stars each, despite many of the characters making terrible choices. Hopefully, I'll have reviews up for books two and three soon.

Books Bought/Received in January


I actually didn't buy a lot of books this month. Err... I take that back. I didn't buy a lot of books that were delivered this month. I ended up preordering the From Blood and Ash JLA box from The Bookish Box, which was like $150. Plus, my January FairyLoot box hasn't arrived yet (or even been shipped yet). Oh, I also bought a ton of FBAA fan art, but that's a whole different issue. Eek.

So, counting the three books in the FBAA series from The Bookish Box (that won't even arrive until June) and the FairyLoot book, I bought seven books total. Cast in Firelight was an Amazon preorder, Find Me Their Bones was a ThriftBooks purchase, and The Invisible Life of Addie Larue I bought on my Kindle app.

I did receive four other books in January, too. Dark Age by Pierce Brown was supposed to be a Christmas gift, but the copy had something wrong with it, so my mom exchanged it for the one pictured. My mom also randomly bought me The Brightest Night by JLA and Crush by Tracy Wolff. And last, but not least, I received an ARC of The Last Watch by J.S. Dewes from Tor.

Currently Obsessed With

Late January didn't see a whole lot of obsession, but early January, I binge-watched a certain Netflix period drama. I'm sure you've heard of it by now.
 

Yeah, that's right. I watched Bridgerton. And I devoured it. I'm so excited we're getting a second season. I'm also super excited that season two will focus on Anthony. (Daphne got on my nerves a little bit towards the end of the first season.) Other than those, I'm still watching season five of The Expanse. I did start season four of Rick & Morty and the first seasons of WandaVision and CW's Walker. Walker isn't really my type of show, so I'm not sure if I'll keep up with it or just watch when the whole season comes out on Netflix. Oh, and I almost forgot! My mom is watching The Boys for the first time, so I'm watching with her.

Currently Reading/February TBR


Nothing really super necessary to get to in February. I'm twenty pages into The Gilded Ones, and it would be nice to finish that book in the first week of the month. I'd also like to read/finish ACOMAF so I can eventually read ACOWAR and then read ACOSF, but it's not crucial that I get to it. The others are simply books that would be fun to read. I'm trying not to read books that I need to purchase sequels for, as I spent a lot of money in January on fan art and such, and I'd like to reduce my spending. That's why Nevernight and The Poppy War aren't on this list. I thought I'd want to read the sequels immediately after, and I just don't want to buy more stuff right now.

***

Okay, well, that’s the month of January, plus some February sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last month? If so, share in the comments!



1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great January! I can't remember if I have mentioned this before, but I do a weekly Tackling the TBR that you are welcome to post your link in, on the linky widget thing. Mine is weekly, but I always post on the last day of the month, if you are interested. I am intrigued by The Gilded Ones and will have to find out more about it!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!