Thursday, September 3, 2020

Review: Endless by Jessica Shirvington

Endless
(The Violet Eden Chapters #4)
Publication Date: October 1, 2013
Hardcover, 470 pages, Sourcebooks Fire
Genres: YA, Paranormal


Love Will Kill Us All

Violet Eden thought she was getting things under control. Then all hell breaks loose-literally. In the war between angels and exiles, she's about to face the biggest baddie of all time. Except she's not nearly ready.

The dark exile Phoenix is still messing with her head-not to mention her heart. And her undeniable attraction to Lincoln has gotten downright dangerous. When Hell unleashes its worst, Violet must embrace every facet of her angel self to save the people she cares about and the world as she knows it. But death is not the worst thing she will face...


My Review

This is the fourth book in Jessica Shrivington’s Violet Eden series, and wonderfully, it was my favorite of the series. I think I enjoyed it more than previous installments because everything came together after three books of build-up.

While I liked Endless more, the first few chapters did have some totally unnecessary parental conflict that was waaaaaay overdramatized. Yes, Violet’s parents have their issues, but Violet is pretty selfish. I can’t condone what happened between the parents and Violet, but yeesh. It just seemed so overdone. Like a teen soap opera or something. THANKFULLY, the story gets back on track a few chapters in because I was super worried I was going to loathe this one at first.

There’s a lot of action in Endless with fun training scenarios, evil beings, and forbidden love all thrown in to spice things up and keep a fast pace. But once again, Shrivington’s writing made me feel like I was missing something important at times. It’s almost like the editor took out paragraphs and paragraphs of Violet’s inner monologue where decisions and logic lived. I could rarely understand why she would make the decision she did or what the ones she did make meant in the grand scheme of things. Still, it wasn’t as bad as books two and three in that regard. Or maybe I’m just getting used to it…

Now, the reason I’m giving this 3.5 stars versus the three stars I normally give the books in this series is because of the relationship between Lincoln and Violet. Things finally, FINALLY happen. I’m not going to spoil anything and say what happens, but good lord was this overdue. I very much enjoyed the angst and tension between the characters. I think as the two aged, so too did Shirvington’s ability to write more realistic romantic relationship conversations.

All in all, this one was good. I feel like this book should have been the conclusion to the series, but Empower is still the finale. If you still love books like Hush, Hush; Fallen; or Unearthly, I think you might want to check this series out. Just remember that it was published in 2013, so it’s a bit dated.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!