Monday, September 7, 2020

Review: Empower by Jessica Shirvington

Empower
(The Violet Eden Chapters #5)
Publication Date: May 6, 2014
Hardcover, 496 pages, Sourcebooks Fire
Genres: YA, Paranormal

It has been two years since Violet Eden walked away from the city, her friends, her future and - most importantly - her soulmate, Lincoln. Part angel, part human, Violet is determined to stand by the promises she made to save the one she loves.

Living in the perpetual coldness of a broken soul she survives day to day as a Rogue Grigori in London.

But when an unexpected visitor shows up at her door, the news he bears about someone she swore to protect leaves Violet with no choice.

Even worse, she fears that this might all lead back to the night she tries hardest to forget. And what was taken without her permission.

Violet is going back to New York ... and she knows exactly who is going to be there.

With Phoenix in her dreams and Lincoln in her heart she knows it is only a matter of time before the final choice must be made.

My Review

I have finally finished this series! After 5+ years of having the books on my shelves, staring at me with their beautiful covers, I have finally finished reading all five books! I feel so accomplished! And now, I can cross one of my major 2020 reading goals off my list. Woot! Woot!

So Empower is the fifth and final book in the Violet Eden series, and unlike the previous four books, this one does not start off even close to where Endless, its predecessor, left off. There’s a two-year time jump between Endless and Empower. Two freakin’ years! This made the beginning a little awkward, since I actually really enjoyed the ending of book four. I was disappointed book five didn’t pick up on all that drama. Though I did like that Violet was more mature in this installment. And watching Violet and Lincoln figure their $hit out was very satisfying. So much tension and angst. So much. I love it.

Honestly, Violet and Lincoln’s relationship is the only thing that kept this story going. I didn’t really care about the big bad. He wasn’t that intimidating, and it truly seemed like Shirvington just made him up so we could get a fifth book. He didn’t really fit into the overall arc presented in the first four stories. Also, his evil scheme was predictable, and Violet should’ve been smart enough to put everything together.

Overall, I’m glad I read this series. It was fun, and it brought me back to my early 2010-reading days. I love angel stories, and I wish there were more published today. Sadly, I do think if I’d read this series five years ago, I would’ve enjoyed it more.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!