Friday, September 4, 2020

August Wrap-Up & September TBR

August was a mixed month for me. The beginning was icky, since I ended up getting sick. It wasn’t COVID, though I was still icky. But I got better, and the month improved up until the week after my birthday when I felt kind of sick again. I’m okay now. It was just annoying, and I think I might be lactose-intolerant now. I hate aging. Oh, and I also had to get a new hubcap for my car. Yuck. At least it stopped making weird noises. I did get a lot of books for myself, so that’s always a plus! XD

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in August




Fable: 4 stars (my review)
Silk & Steel: 3.5 stars
Iron & Fire: 4 stars
Blood & Ice: 4 stars
The Black Prince: 3.5 stars
Crave: 3 stars
Life and Death: 3 stars
Starfall: 2.5 stars
The House in the Cerulean Sea: 4.5 stars

I read nine books this month. Pretty good considering I had a small slump at the beginning of the month. I was in a specific reading mood in early August. I wanted dark M/M fantasy romance, but then I switched over to paranormal romance later on. Five of these reads were ebooks, with Fable being a NetGalley review copy, and four were physical copies. Of the four physical copies, only one was purchased prior to 2020, Starfall. The other three were purchased this month as birthday presents to myself.

I’m also very behind on book reviews. None of them are for publishers, so I’m fine with being behind, but it just makes me sad to realize I need to get caught up. I’ve already read all of these books, but I need to review every single one except Fable. *sigh*

Books Bought/Received in August


I went a little crazy with the birthday gifts. I ended up buying a total of 20, and I received 27 total. Some of my birthday orders won’t arrive until September, so this isn’t even all of it. I couldn’t even fit the entire thing in one camera shot!

For my birthday, I ordered Nevernight, Serpent & Dove, The House in the Cerulean Sea, Boyfriend Material, From Blood and Ash, and another book that hasn’t arrived yet from Amazon. I know, Amazon isn’t the greatest, but it’s the only place I could order FBAA, and, at the time, I didn’t want to make a separate order elsewhere. Right after my birthday purchase, I impulsively purchased Crave, Life and Death, and Midnight Sun, which hasn’t shipped yet. I also went to a used bookstore and traded for half-off of my purchase for nine Yasmine Galenorn mass markets and Sarah Beth Durst’s The Queen of Sorrow and The Reluctant Queen.

My July FairyLoot got here earlier this month, and my August FairyLoot arrived at the end of the month. I also got my August Owlcrate. However, I only paid for the August subscription boxes this month, as the July one was paid for last month. Oh, and I received Children of Virtue and Vengeance from my parents.

All of these were the physical books. The six ebooks I received were Ariana Nash’s Silk & Steel series and Cast in Firelight. Cast in Firelight is a NetGalley review copy, and the Silk & Steel books were downloaded through a free trial of Kindle Unlimited. So I didn’t spend any money for those. Yay! But I’m not sure if they’ll stay in my Kindle library once my trial is up. Boo…

Currently Obsessed With

I actually have two obsessions this month, surprisingly. It’s been a good month to be a fangirl, I guess.


My first major obsession is one I was late to the party for: Netflix’s The Old Guard movie, based off the graphic novel series. If you haven’t seen this film, PLEASE GO WATCH IT! It’s amazing! It also features my favorite immortal husbands, Joe and Nicky. I have read so much fanfiction for this movie, it’s insane.

Speaking of fanfiction, I’ve also being reading it for the Twilight series. I re-watched the films this month, and immediately traveled back in time to my high-school years. This re-watch was the reason I decided to purchase Midnight Sun, Life and Death, and even Crave, which is a vampire YA romance book. As I’ve been reading fanfiction and even Meyer’s Life and Death gender-twist book, I realized that I love Emmett and Rosalie so much! I want a book about them! And Leah! Poor Leah.

In addition to all of that, I’m still re-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel with my mom who’s watching for the first time. We’re on seasons five and two right now. Five has my favorite storyline, so I’m excited to see my mom’s reaction to Glory and what she is.

Currently Reading/September TBR


I haven’t been sticking to TBRs super well for the past few months, but I need to read Cast in Firelight (not pictured) since it’s a review copy. I’m also planning on reading the last hundred pages or so of From Blood and Ash to prep for A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire’s release this month. And Children of Virtue and Vengeance is my book club’s pick for September, so I have to read it. I guess Realm of Ash is the only book on this list that I don’t have to read or don’t have an overwhelming urge to read. I would like to get to it though, as I enjoyed the first book.

***

Okay, well, that’s the month of August, plus some September sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for this month? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!