Saturday, June 27, 2020

Stacking the Shelves: The May FairyLoot Edition

 "Stacking the Shelves" is a weekly haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality. It allows book buyers to share their accumulation of books with the online book-loving community.

More books! But the best thing is, I only bought one of them! Or at least, I only bought one of them this week. The others were all online orders I made earlier this month, including the May FairyLoot box. (Warning: There will be SPOILERS for the May box in this post.)

Aurora Rising by Kaufman & Kristoff
A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown
The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller
The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winters

A Song of Wraiths and Ruin and The Rage of Dragons are both from an order I made a couple of weeks ago to support Semicolon Bookstore. Aurora Rising and The Shadows Between Us were purchased by my mother. She went to a Barnes & Noble and asked if I wanted anything. I gave her a list and told her to surprise me. These are the ones she picked.


I also downloaded an ebook of White Fragility. I don’t know when I’ll get to this one. I know it’s an important book, but it might be something I read a chapter at a time. Seems like it’ll need to be digested in chunks versus speed-reading through.

And finally, my first FairyLoot box. I was super excited for the Desert Dreams theme, but overall, the box items were just kind of mediocre. I told myself not to get too excited for the first few months’ boxes, simply because it might be a while before I get a box that really wows me, but I’m still a little bummed. I’m kind of nit-picky when it comes to bookish items. It’s one reason why I haven’t subscribed to other book boxes before now. (Minus my first and last Owlcrate box years ago.)


The book for the month isn’t one I know a lot about, but the character artwork is pretty. The cover is kind of boring. Like, really boring. Especially the font. As for the items, I don’t really like any of them. Candles and bath salts are waaaay over done, while the spoon is just impractical. It’s too pretty to use, and it’s too weird to display. The tin and towel are fine items, but I was kind of hoping for more, especially since I love the Daevabad series so much. I guess that’s just how subscription boxes work, though. You win some, you lose some.

What books have you bought/received lately?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah with subscription boxes you'll either get items you love or ones you're like what do I do with this? For me it's even harder if I don't like the fandom. Like the April box had a really nice tote bag but it was for a series I realllllly did not like whatsoever and I can't get behind using it. I feel like using it means I'm a fan of what it represents and I'm not. It's a stupid thing to feel about little items and whatnot, but it bugs me enough that I tossed it in my trade it pile. Though I haven't seen anyone asking for it, so it may end up being donated one day as with a lot of that stuff.

    With candles I'm really picky with. There have been a few that I take a sniff and was like whoa. I guess more people don't burn candles they just display them. I like burning mine so if I can't stand the smell, it's kind of useless to me.

    Sorry your first box was a bit of a dud. I actually skipped this box because I didn't feel like the book would be one I enjoy. Though its alternative cover is kind of pretty despite me not being a "pink" person. Lol.

    What I like about Owl Crate is how easy I can skip a box myself. With Fairy Loot I have to tell them in advance, which is no problem really. But I like being able to skip a box myself. The last Owl Crate box I got was March. So I've been skipping them a lot lately. When I hear what the book is and if I feel meh, I just skip it.

    Sometimes I do wish that Owl Crate and Fairy Loot would offer a book only option. I like the items sometimes but usually only if they can be useful and if they're from a fandom I like.

    Hope you enjoy the rest of the reads! The Shadows Between Us was amazing!


    My StS will be up tomorrow, so stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book-only option would be cool if it still came with the artwork and bookmark. I was actually more excited about the items than the book for this box, though. I've been really into desert fantasy stories lately.

      And, I just finished The Shadows Between Us. It was fun. :)

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!