Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Can't-Wait Wednesday: The Notorious Virtues

 "Can’t-Wait Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted over at Wishful Endings, that spotlights upcoming releases we're eagerly anticipating.

This week, what's really got my pages in a twist is...

The Notorious Virtues
(The Notorious Virtues)
Publication Date: August 18, 2020
Hardcover, 320 pages, Viking Books
Genres: YA, Fantasy

A glamorous media darling, a surprise heiress, and the magical competition of a lifetime.

At sixteen, Honora “Nora” Holtzfall is the daughter of the most powerful heiress in all of Walstad. Her family controls all the money–and all the magic–in the entire country. But despite being the center of attention, Nora has always felt like an outsider. When her mother is found dead in an alley, the family throne and fortune are suddenly up for grabs, and Nora will be pitted against her cousins in the Veritaz, the ultimate magical competition for power that determines the one family heir.

But there’s a surprise contestant this time: Lotte, the illegitimate daughter of Nora’s aunt. When Lotte’s absent mother retrieves her from the rural convent she’d abandoned her to, Lotte goes from being an orphan to surrounded by family. Unfortunately, most of them want her dead.

And soon, Nora discovers that her mother’s death wasn’t random–it was murder. And the only person she can trust to uncover the truth of what happened is a rakish young reporter who despises everything Nora and her family stand for.

With everyone against her, Lotte’s last hope is hunting for the identity of her father. But the dangerous competition–and her feelings for Theo, one of the Holtzfalls’ sworn protectors–turns her world upside down.

Incredible tests, impossible choices and deadly odds await both girls. But there can only be one winner.

My Thoughts

I very much enjoyed Alwyn Hamilton’s Rebel of the Sands trilogy. I have a thing for desert-fantasy books. However, I’m not too sure about this one. Heiress stories with magical competitions and reporter love interests really aren’t my thing. So I guess I’ll remain wary going into it. Hopefully, it surprises me.

What book are you waiting for this Wednesday?

5 comments:

  1. Lovely cover and it sounds good. Hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yasss!! So excited for this one! All the changes in its release date have given me a bit of whiplash though! Lol! Hopefully this date sticks this time!


    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. I haven't been paying attention to the release date. I'm glad I didn't keep track. Push backs drive me crazy. Haha

      Delete
  3. I love the premise of this one and am interested in giving it a try. I hope you enjoy it when you read it!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!