Sunday, June 7, 2020

Black Lives Matter: Resources for Book-Community Allies

Hey all. So this post wasn’t scheduled, and I wasn’t sure if I would even do it or not, simply because I don’t have a lot of interactions on my blog. I mostly write blog posts and reviews for me to monitor my reading and book-buying habits. However, I couldn’t not say anything here.

There’s a very difficult fight going on right now across the United States. My country, and, based on my follower stats, probably yours as well. I realize the American system has failed black citizens for far too long, and I recognize that I have been a part of that system my entire life. Benefitting from the hardship of many. For that, I am sorry. I’ll try to be better and continue to grow. For now, know that I am talking about this issue with friends, family, and co-workers. I’ve been using my social media platforms (small as they may be) to speak out because #BlackLivesMatter. They’ve always mattered, and they will continue to matter, even after the protests go quiet.

What’s happening in America is wrong on so many levels. There needs to be systemic change, from the police system to the government to even the million-dollar corporations. I hope that the November election can change at least some of this, and, in future elections, I hope we have the opportunity to vote for someone who truly wants change.

Because this is a book blog, I’m going to share all of the resources I’ve seen over the past week or so about where to purchase books from black-owned businesses and where you can buy an ally box, to help white Americans educate ourselves on our, oftentimes, unintentional racists tendencies. I also have linked a list of books to read if an ally subscription box is too expensive for you at this time. But, before I provide those links, make sure to:
  1. Sign petitions. It only takes a few minutes.
  2. Donate if you can. If you can’t, watch the video mentioned below.
  3. If you’re protesting, be careful. Check out these tips.
  4. Watch Zoe Amira’s Youtube video. All of the ad revenue from the video goes straight to bail funds for protestors. It’s a long video, but you can leave it on in a different room or mute it if necessary. There’s some pretty cool stuff on there though, so try to listen to some of it.



Okay, onto the bookish steps:

Order from black-owned bookstores. 
 
I ordered two books from Semicolon in Illinois, and it was almost the same price as ordering from Barnes & Noble, with shipping! I’ve also made it a goal to order one book from Semicolon and one book from my local independent bookseller every 3-4 months. Amazon doesn’t need any more of my money, and Book Outlet has major steps to go through before they can fall back into the book-community’s good graces. If you’re unaware of the Book Outlet situation, you can find that information here.
 

Purchase an Ally Box
 
I’m not sure if I’m going to purchase a box, simply because I don’t have the funds right now, but I will be purchasing some of the books listed in this link once I get paid. The Ally books will discuss what it truly means to be an ally.  
 
 
 
 
Order books by black authors. 
 
Not just now, but weeks, months, years, and decades from now. I know my shelves are very white-focused, and I’m going to change that. I hope publishing changes as well. There simply aren’t enough black-authored fantasy books out there. Or at least, not ones that are marketed to the same extent as white-authored fantasies.

(P.S. If you order A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by June 30th, you can enter an order incentive giveaway for free swag!)


Order bookish merchandise from black shops.


Okay, so I think that’s all I have. I may write more posts as time goes on, but this movement isn’t mine. While I will stand with the black community, I know there are stronger, better, wonderful black voices out there who deserve much more attention than this measly post will ever get.

I hope at least one of you finds this post helpful, and I hope we can get justice for George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Philando Castile, and even the individuals injured in protests. For my white followers out there, remember to listen to what our black neighbors are saying. Remember to step back and let them have the floor during this pivotal moment. And remember, BLACK LIVES MATTER.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!