Monday, October 9, 2017

The Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

Surprise! Another tag post! I think I’ve done more tag posts in the past few months than I have in my entire time blogging. Weird.

The tag I’m doing today is an oldie, but a goodie. It’s called the Unpopular Opinions Book Tag, and it was created by TheBookArcher. No one tagged me for this post; I just thought it was time I actually made my unpopular opinions known.

***

A popular book or series that you didn’t like

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

This one is a weird one. I adored Maggie’s Shiver trilogy. It was beautiful and lyrical and everything I wanted in high school. Scorpio Races was a good read as well. Then, I read The Raven Boys, and I thought it was “meh.” Everyone else, though, they thought it was DA BOMB. I don’t know if I’m missing something or what, but I sometimes feel like I’m all alone in my little bubble of feelings.

Who knows, maybe I’ll give this book another shot later, but for now, it’s one that I was very disappointed in.


A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Admittedly, not everyone hates this series, but I find that a lot of people dis on the first book. I absolutely LOVED the first book. It was amazing and action-packed. I’m not sure why people hate on it so much…


A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did not want them to end up with

SPOILERS FOR ANDREA CREMER’S NIGHTSHADE SERIES


In Bloodrose, the third book in Andrea Cremer’s Nightshade trilogy, Calla ends up with Shay. SHAY! I don’t like him. I was furious whenever this book originally came out. I think it was the first time I ever read a ton of Goodreads reviews, just so I could find fellow readers who were as mad as I was.


A popular book genre that you hardly reach for

This is a tough one. I read contemporary, fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal, romance, and many other genres. I guess, if I had to choose, I’d say magical realism. I don’t even really know how many books with magical realism elements are out there; I just know that I don’t particularly like the genre. However, maybe I simply haven’t read the right book yet…


A popular or beloved character that you do not like

I have two: Warner from Taherah Mafi’s Shatter Me series and Rhys from Sarah J. Maas’s A Court of Thorns and Roses series.

I don’t like Warner because of his actions in the first two books in the series, and I refuse to read the other two and half books simply because other people believe they redeem him. He is a horrible person. Also, I hate it when authors randomly switch the love interest in the middle of a series when, for the majority of the plot, the character has been with one person. I loathe getting invested in one guy only to have to switch allegiances to another.

Speaking of switching love interests, I have yet to read any of the sequels to ACOTAR, simply because I enjoyed Tamlin’s character in the first book. Apparently though, he turns into a raging a$$hole in the second book. I just don’t get why SJM even had Tamlin as the main reason Feyre was introduced to this world instead of making Rhys the original love interest and intro to the fae world.

Whew. That was a long rant. Moving on.


A popular author that you can’t seem to get into

E. Lockhart seems to be a big name in the YA community. None of her books sound that interesting to me, though.


A popular trope that you’re tired of seeing

Is it wrong that I’m tired of the lone wolf, girl assassin trope in YA? I think it’s great that female characters are taking on these roles in fantasy books that typically belonged to men, but it’s hard to make the YA version gritty enough. If an author is going to write an assassin, she needs to be AN ASSASSIN with all the skills and grit that comes with the role. And, personally, I don’t want to read about a character who kills people for a living unless she’s got a really good backstory.


A popular series that you have no interest in reading


Lauren Oliver’s new series that you can flip the books over and read from a different character’s POV, the Replica series. I just don’t have any desire to pick it up. #sorrynotsorry


The saying goes “the book is always better than the movie” but what movie or TV show adaptation do you prefer over the book?


Another tough question. I guess, for now, I’m going to go with Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Not because I hated HP3 or anything, but because HP3 was my least favorite of the HP books. Despite that, HP3 is one of, if not my favorite movie in the franchise.

***

Alright, there you have it. Those are some of my unpopular opinions. I know that a few may be controversial, but I just can’t help it. They’re my opinions, and I’m sticking to them. ;)

What are some of your unpopular opinions? Let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Warner isn't a terrible person, though! If you write that because of the girl that Juliet had to save, I'll ask you a question. Where did that girl go when Juliet raged out? The answer to that is in the Warner novella! End my little rant :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!