Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Series I Binged

I couldn't think of a post for today until I thought about the six-book series I recently read and binged, so I decided to talk about other series I've binged. Not all of them, but just a few that come to mind when I think about my collection.

***
The Mediator series by Meg Cabot

One of my favorite series I read as a teen. It was a lot harder to binge-read books 10+ years ago, so my definition of "binge" is a little different for this six-book series. I think I ended up reading the first book and I immediately wanted the next five, but I had to wait until I visited my older sister in the city, as she lived close to a Barnes & Noble where I could actually get copies of the sequels. I definitely don't miss those days. I like my instant-gratification of buying books when I want. Though, I think I only waited a weekend or two to devour the whole series.

The Wicked trilogy by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I actually read the first book in this trilogy and then didn't pick up books two and three for a while. Not because I didn't want to, but because the third book's cover change angered me and I was waiting for matching paperbacks. That hasn't happened. But I ended up devouring the ebooks and they helped get me out of a year-long reading slump. Honestly, this Buffy-type fae storyline is what got me back into reading. Jennifer's writing is pretty good for that.
The Beautiful Monsters series by Jex Lane

This is a newer addition to the list. I read Captive and its sequels back in November, and it was addicting. I compare the series to C.S. Pacat's Captive Prince trilogy mixed with Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark. It's definitely a darker read, so trigger warnings for some series stuff, but the paranormal aspects are fantastic. I'm actually sad there's no info about book four. 

Zodiac Academy by Caroline Peckham & Susanne Valenti

I binge-read the first seven books of the Zodiac Academy series after seeing an enamel pin fanart design that just blew my mind. And boy, did I not regret it. The series starts off on a weak note with all the guys being major jerks, but by book three, you're hooked. The banter, worldbuilding, and relationships are A+. I desperately want these books in physical form, but I'm holding off for my birthday or Christmas or something. I also devoured the Ruthless Boys of the Zodiac series, which is a prequel to this one, fairly quickly as well. I think I read the five of those books in a month, though, versus the week I read seven of the ZA books (the only ones that were out at the time).
The Daevabad series by S.A. Chakraborty

I read book one in this series and then desperately wanted the sequels, but I had to wait for my FairyLoot versions to arrive. Once I got them, I re-read book one and the rest pretty close together for how large and dense the three installments are. With the exception of the main female character, most of the people in this series are morally gray, which in a world of djinn, means for a great read.

***

Alright, there you have it. Some series I've binged over the years. Have you binge-read any series lately? Let me know in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. OOOMG! As soon as I saw the Mediator series in my reader I had to come over to your post! I LOOOOOOOOOVED this series! It was one I read when it first published, I have all mismatching covers because concepts changed, Meg used a pen-name for the first four books, but I adore my mismatching covers oddly enough! Lol! But wait! Did you know she wrote a seventh book? A sequel that takes place like 10 years or so after the events of book 6? I read it a few years ago when it first came out--and can still remember I had my cc hacked after that...all because I did the right thing and called when they said my order wasn't charged properly but I got the book on time AND I checked my credit card statements and scrolled through charges and I wasn't charged for it. But yeah, my good deed just got my number stolen. *eyeroll*

    But yes, that is a favorite series of mind! Needless to say I didn't binge it...but if memory recalls I was able to binge books 1-4...then a few years later I happily stumbled upon book 5 which was pretty much when I fully realized what pen-names were all about! Lol. When I stumbled on book 6 when it released I knew right away what it was and happily skipped to the Borders registers before I even read what it was about! My mom was shocked that day because I had looked for maybe 5 minutes...she was used to waiting 30 minutes or up to an hour for me to find something new to read!

    I did just finish reading a duology today that I binged so to speak! Lol. It was pretty good! I've quite a few trilogies and duologies in my TBR pile that I waited specifically to binge read, I just need to get around to reading them all now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yes, I read the 7th book. It wasn't bad, I just don't own it, so I tend to forget it exists. One day I'll get a copy. And it won't match my mass market copies at all. Sigh...

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!