Thursday, January 8, 2015

Review: Unmarked by Kami Garcia

Unmarked
(The Legion #2)
Publication Date: September 2014
Hardcover, 400- pages, Little Brown Books
Genres: YA, Paranormal

The heart-pounding sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller, Unbreakable, by New York Times bestselling Beautiful Creatures co-author Kami Garcia.

He is here... and he could be anyone.

Kennedy Waters lives in a world where vengeance spirits kill, ghosts keep secrets, and a demon walks among us–a demon she accidentally set free.

Now Kennedy and the other Legion members–Alara, Priest, Lukas, and Jared–have to hunt him down. As they learn more about the history of the Legion and the Illuminati, Kennedy realizes that the greatest mystery of all does not belong to any secret order, but to her own family. With the clock ticking and the life of someone she loves hanging in the balance, Kennedy has to ask the question she fears most: what is it about her past that has left her Unmarked?

My Review

Demon hunting and a hot boy named Jared! What more do you need?! Not a lot more actually. Because Kami Garcia managed to make a pretty great sequel.

I was skeptical going into this book. I loved Unbreakable, mostly because it was so similar to Supernatural (except the characters are teenagers and there’s hot twins involved). Plus, it totally creeped me out. So, going in to this I was worried I wouldn’t feel the same amount of love that I did for the first book. And, I didn’t.

I had forgotten who the side characters of the story were, and what exactly was going on by the time I got around to reading this book. (Don’t you hate that! Books should be released less than one month apart so that readers can remember what the heck happened!) That meant that I wasn’t as in love with Jared and Kennedy’s romance as I was in the previous book. So I’ll admit that the first few chapters took a while to get into.

THEN, I got into it. And before I knew it things were happening and demons were running amok and I’d read more than one hundred pages without even realizing it. And I’m not exaggerating! The pacing of this book was really good! Especially since, once I think back on it, not a lot happened. But Garcia still managed to keep my eyes glued to those pages.

Now that I’ve raved about the plot and pacing, let’s briefly discuss the characters, shall we? We shall. Oh how we shall… I’ll start with Kennedy since she’s the MC. Kennedy’s thoughts were a little wishy-washy to me. The seemed like a normal girls’ thoughts and feelings at times, but at others they were a little too naïve. This wasn’t a big deal though. And Jared… Oh, Jared. He’s fantastic! I’m so glad we’re getting a third book in this series because I would be super ticked with the way things left off for him if we didn’t! The side characters were fun. Alara’s little bf intro was cute and humorous. I really want to see more into his character. Now, the whole Elle thing kind of upset me. I didn’t think it was necessary for her to be in the story as much as she was. Kennedy has left that part of her life behind, and I think Elle sticking around just didn’t help move her storyline along. But I can understand why the author chose to put her in, she had to figure a way to get out of the love triangle from the first book.

All in all, I enjoyed this sequel. Not as much as the first book, but I’m looking forward to getting my hands on Book #3. Fall 2015, here I come!


*Note: I purchased this book myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!