Thursday, January 1, 2015

Top 14 of 2014

I finally got around to making my Top 14 of 2014 list. It's simple and to-the-point because I'm having oral surgery soon (Yay, wisdom teeth!) and I have to get this thing written. So here they are (I also cheated quite a bit, but oh well...), the best of the best that I’ve read in the year 2014:


#14) Uninvited by Sophie Jordan

I really enjoyed the first half of this book. The last half wasn’t as great, but that’s what sequels are for. So here’s to hoping that everyone who’s written a review about Unleashed on Goodreads so far is W.R.O.N.G.

 
#13) The Dark World by Cara Lynn Shultz

If you would have told me that Cara Lynn Shultz would have a book on my top 14 of 2014 list back when I read her first YA book, I would probably have laughed in your face. But The Dark World was soooo good. I can just conveniently forget the mess that was that witch series she wrote way back in the day. To read more of my thoughts about The Dark World, check out my review.


 #12) The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

I was beginning to lose faith in Kiersten White after I read her Mind Games book, but this book made me feel her greatness once again! I think I might have enjoyed this one more than the last two books in her Paranormalcy trilogy! It was cute and adventurous and fantastic. Plus, I’m a sucker for anything involving gods and goddesses.


 #11) The Unwanted by Jeffrey Ricker

This story was so cute! But at the same time, it was amazingly deep. I remember falling in love with the ending, and with the story itself. This was the first time I had read a YA LGBT paranormal-esque story, and I enjoyed it immensely. For more of my thoughts on the book, read my review.


#10) Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight, and Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

I honestly have no idea which one of these I would consider my favorite out of the series (so far). So I had to combine them. I love the fantasy and lore in this book, but I also have come to realize that I enjoy all of the characters in this series. It’s rare that I come across a book that has me loving anyone but the love interest and MC, so thanks Sarah J. Maas!


#9)  Angelfall by Susan Ee

My only thought after reading this book was “Creeeeeepy” according to my Goodreads review of this book. I think that about sums it up. The only other things I would add would be “hawt, smexy, tortured angels” and “awesome world-building.” The only reason this book isn’t as high on my list is because I didn’t really enjoy World After as much as I loved Angelfall. I was a tad bit disappointed.


 #8) Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini

This book has only recently moved up in my eyes. I had read it back in July, and kind of forgot about it, even though it was really good. But for some reason, I can’t get it out of my mind now. All I can think about is Rowan and the scientific magic thing this world has going on. For more of my thoughts on this book, read my review.


 #7) Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

I’m a sucker for historical novels about Robin Hood, King Arthur, and any other noble knight out there. So when I finally read this book, I immediately fell in love. I read the second one not too soon after and I’m anxiously awaiting Lion Heart.


#6)  Alienated by Melissa Landers

Aliens are hot. Not the green, short, black-eyed things, or the tentacle monster things, but the Daemon Black and Aelyx aliens. I could read about their species all day long.

Here’s what I said about it on Goodreads, “4.5/5 stars. I did really love this book, there were some very minor things that I didn't like, but they were miniscule in comparison to the entirety of the book. And I can't wait for Invaded.”


 #5) Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

Sometimes the last two books in this series get a bad rap. I don’t understand why, they’re great! Granted, I liked this one better than Ruin and Rising, but that’s just because I found some elements in the trilogy ender to be a little predictable.

Here’s what I said about it on Goodreads, “4.5/5 stars. This book took some time for me to get into, mostly because I'd forgotten what happened in book #1, but once I made myself sit down and read it, I was hooked.”


 #4) Queen of Zombie Hearts by Gena Showalter

I love this series. More specifically, I love the snarkiness and wit within this series. And Cole. Cole is drool-worthy. I’ve recently heard that Gena has some information to share about this series and future installments. I really hope this means more Cole. Can you tell I’m obsessed with Cole?

Here’s what I said about it on Goodreads, “I'm going with 4.5/5 stars. I enjoyed the humor and the romance, but something was missing...”


 #3) Deliverance by C.J. Redwine

I went through all of my ratings on Goodreads to see which books I gave 5 stars (which is never very many considering I’m a very nit-picky reader) and this was one of the few I’d given 5 stars. I don’t remember why specifically I gave it that rating, though, because I didn’t write a review. *sigh*

Rachel and Logan = awesome OTP
 

#2) Death Sworn by Leah Cypess

 I didn't write a review for this book. I should have. Here's what I said about it on Goodreads, " 4.5/5 stars. Umm... So... Holy cow. I read this book in less than five hours. It was good. Really good. The only reason I'm not giving it the full 5 stars is because that ending left me a tad unsatisfied. Hopefully Book #2 will fix all of that though. All in all, my first Leah Cypess read was a major success." 


 #1) White Hot Kiss and Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Everything that JLA writes is covered in gold and awesome-sauce. These books were my faves of 2014. Roth is a hunk of burning love and Layla is a great character to read about! Check my review of White Hot Kiss out here and be on the lookout for a Stone Cold Touch review.

**I also want to throw in a good word for Don’t Look Back which I also loved but just didn’t have room for on this list.


What were some of your favorite reads of 2014? Sound off in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!