Tuesday, January 20, 2015

My Top 5 Most Overhyped Books

Before people crucify me for listing some of these books, I just want to remind everyone that these are my opinions. I’d love to hear which book(s) you think are overhyped and maybe we will, or won’t, agree on them. Bookish debates can be fun…. right?

Also, I’m not saying that these books aren’t good reads; I’m just saying that the amount of hype they have doesn’t match up with my perceptions. Because I did read and enjoy most of these books.

So, here are my top five most overhyped books:

5. The Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi

I used to enjoy this series. Or at least, I enjoyed the first book. Then I kept hearing about Team Warner and how amazing this book series was because of him. So I didn’t finish the series. I’m not sure if I’ll ever read Ignite Me. Warner was a horrible person in the first book, and I don’t think any amount of sob-inducing backstory will make up for the fact that he had Juliette torture a little kid.

4. The Mara Dyer Series by Michelle Hodkin

This is one series that completely baffles me. I read the first book and had absolutely no idea what was going on. Mara wasn’t that relatable and half of the time it sounded like she was on some kind of hallucinogens. Also, people go on and on about how sexy Noah is too. I don’t see it.

P.S. I’m also not a huge fan of the covers. They look like dirty pond water.

3. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I have a feeling this one’s going to get me a lot of hate. And honestly, I might have said that the hype was deserved with this book, if it hadn’t been for one thing: the dialogue. What teenager talks like that?! I know that there are highly intelligent teenagers out there, but this was ridiculous! Every. Single. Person. In. That. Town. Talked like they were a literary, scientific, mathematical, etc., genius. GAH!

2. The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

After what happened in Allegiant, I’m surprised anyone can still love these books. And it’s not the ending that bugs me. It’s the two points of view that were indistinguishable and the complete character changes that irked me. But even those could have been just minor annoyances if one other thing hadn’t happened.


***Potential Spoilers Ahead***


***Potential Spoilers Ahead***


***Potential Spoilers Ahead***


I’m just going to say that books should not create a world and then proclaim that everything in that world has been an experiment, basically that everything from the previous books was fake and set up. That’s disappointing to the reader and is a major taboo in children’s literature.

1. The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare

I’m sure there are a lot of people out there who agree with me on this but who are afraid to say it for fear of the potential of being shunned from the bookish community: This series has a lot of hype. I think it’s a lot of undeserved hype. Don’t get me wrong, it is a good series, I read the first three books in less than a month, I believe. I simply don’t understand why everyone is so fascinated by these books.

The characters aren’t particularly exciting. They aren’t Celaena’s or Katniss’s. They don’t have a lot of excitement going on. (EXCEPT for Magnus and Alec. Those two are great.) Jace and Clary are just another YA paranormal romance addition to the YA paranormal world. Now Tess and Will/Jem, that was a great ending romance that does deserves some hype. Plus, the whole incest storyline was just plain WEIRD. And storylines like Clary’s have been written by other authors in a more detailed and fascinating manner.


So, those are my top five most overhyped and overrated books. What’s some of yours? Sound off in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. HAHA best post I've seen today!! I agree with some of your choices such as the mortal instruments series and the Divergent series. I feel bad for the trees that had to die to support some of these books. I'm looking forward to more great posts from you and I hope to see you around my blog

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I'm glad you agree. Sometimes it's hard to find anyone who doesn't feel like these books were sent down from heaven and a golden chariot. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with all of these, except for Shatter Me, the reason why you don't like Warner. Let's just say, that that scene was like a minor version of the science mistake that was used for more plot for Across the Universe/A Million Suns. In Ignite Me, Juliette mentions that scene, and Warner has a surprising answer! I think at the very least, you won't hate him/totally dislike him anymore. But on the flipside, for me, is that Adam isn't as good in Ignite Me. You really should read Ignite Me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told that Warner gets redeemed for this in Ignite Me, I just don't want to see it. I really did love Adam's character and I've heard that things aren't good for him. I think my main problem is that I never even pictured Juliette ending up with anyone but Adam. And now that Warner is supposed to be the HEA, I just don't want to end the story that way. Who knows, someday I might read it (I just have to buy it first), but it probably won't be while the metaphorical wounds are so fresh.

      I'm glad you agree with me about the other four though! It's nice to have bookish thoughts in common! XD Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!