Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Review: Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Stone Cold Touch
(The Dark Elements #2)
Publication Date: October 2014
Paperback, 320pages, Harlequin Teen
Genres: YA, Paranormal

Every touch has its price

Layla Shaw is trying to pick up the pieces of her shattered life—no easy task for a seventeen-year-old who’s pretty sure things can’t get worse. Her impossibly gorgeous best friend, Zayne, is forever off-limits thanks to the mysterious powers of her soul-stealing kiss. The Warden clan that has always protected her is suddenly keeping dangerous secrets. And she can barely think about Roth, the wickedly hot demon prince who understood her in ways no one else could.

But sometimes rock bottom is only the beginning. Because suddenly Layla’s powers begin to evolve, and she’s offered a tantalizing taste of what has always been forbidden. Then, when she least expects it, Roth returns, bringing news that could change her world forever. She’s finally getting what she always wanted, but with hell literally breaking loose and the body count adding up, the price may be higher than Layla is willing to pay…

My Review

Be still my Roth-loving heart! JLA can I marry you? Just so I can have all of your sexy boy-toy characters close by?

Does that sound a little too obsessive? Well, good! It needs to sound as obsessive as possible, because this series is incredible!!! (Warning: There will be LOTS of exclamation points, capital letters, and a heaping load of praise in this review. You have been warned.)

I have to be honest, the last JLA book I read, Opposition (Lux #5), had me disappointed. JLA is a magnificent writer, but it wasn’t up to her standards, in my opinion. So when I started reading this book I was a little apprehensive. Was she going to ruin Roth for me? Layla? The Warden and demon concept in general? Nope. She exceeded any expectations I may have had. Many times over.

Layla is just as fun, witty, snarky, goofy, and lovable as she was in White Hot Kiss, perhaps even more so. I never got frustrated with her character or bored hearing her thoughts. Even when Layla did some things that I wish she wouldn’t have done (Stupid Zayne and his nice boy image.), I understood that Layla was exploring herself and her sexuality after being denied love and contact with people for so long. Didn’t mean I had to like it, but I understood it. I think it’s amazing that JLA could write a love triangle that isn’t just, “Oh poor me, I have two hot guys to choose from, which one should I kiss?” Instead JLA put together a love triangle that has complications, after all, Layla’s been in love with Zayne for years, and now that Layla’s spreading her wings, Zayne may be waking up to that fact, and liking it. And Roth isn’t just a (very, very, very) sexy bad boy; he’s Layla’s chance to live a part of her life that’s been repressed for years. Layla has to choose, not between Zayne or Roth, but between keeping things the same and staying in the shadows, or actually letting the demon half of her out.

I’m still Team Roth though. Roth + Layle = My OTP

The plot of the book was fast-paced. There was no chapter that dragged me down. Of course, I’ve never had a YA book by JLA drag on and on and on. But back to the point, this book flew by way too fast for me. I want so much more, even though the ending was fairly satisfying—as much as the ending of the second book in a series can be, anyway. I had no idea where this book was going. I mean, of course, I knew the problems with the big, bad, that the character are having, but the family problems Layla had threw me for a loop. I can’t wait to see how this plays out in the future.

All in all, I’m in love. Both with Roth, and with Ms. Armentrout herself. Jennifer, if you won’t marry me, could you at least give me pages and pages of your sexy bad boys’ descriptions. Abs, hair, eyes, arms—you could describe their IQ’s and I’d be over the moon. Thanks.

Oh, and can you sneak me an ARC of Every Last Breath? No? Aww…


*Note: I purchased this book for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!