Saturday, April 8, 2023

Stacking the Shelves: The New Place Edition

 "Stacking the Shelves" is a weekly haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality. It allows book buyers to share their accumulation of books with the online book-loving community.

Well, a lot has happened since I posted last. The major thing is... I moved to my new place. And while I was super excited about it, sadly, not two hours ago, on the Thursday night I'm writing this, I found out my shower isn't draining and my smoke detector is running low on battery power. Cue the beeping. And both happened at the exact same time. Ugh. But I'm happy to have my own space, once maintenance comes out to fix everything, that is. I am still in crisis mode a bit, wondering if I made a poor life decision, since living with my parents was free. Lol. The personal freedom does make up for it, however. Plus, I just have to remind myself that the unpacking, buying new stuff, and figuring out where things go is the worst part. Once that's done, it will actually feel like my space.      .


Let's talk about books, though. First up in this week's haul is Heartsong by TJ Klune in the original paperback. I was looking out for this one on eBay and other secondary markets, since it's the only original copy of the series that I don't own and it's not widely available anymore. And I do not like the hardcover redesigns. The puppet wolves just don't do it for me. So yeah, when this one popped up on eBay, I nabbed it, even though I did not need to spend anymore money. Oh, and I also have two Redbubble prints (technically these are postcards, since I like the 5"x7" size better) of characters from A Shadow in the Ember by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I don't normally collected ASITE art, but you'll see why I got them soon.

Next, I have the rest of the Redbubble order. AKA, soon. Haha. Redbubble was having a 30% off sale, so I made a small order of some fanart I've wanted for a long time. These three are of FBAA characters: Vonetta, Poppy and Cas, and Kieran. This is the first artwork of Vonetta I've ever had. Yay! Unfortunately, Redbubble didn't have these in a 5"x7" postcard size, so I had to figure out a way to get them without spending a ton of money on the print versions. So, I got large stickers! I think they'll work pretty well for any display I plan to do now that I have my own place.

And next is something that has taken a very long time to arrive. It's my copy of Tress of the Emereld Sea by Brandon Sanderson, from his Kickstarter campaign. I purchased the quarterly hardcover and ebook option, and the hardcover was supposed to arrive back in January. Oops. Though I get that paper and foiling and just warehouse packing stuff in general are hard to come by right now. The box came with some other goodies too. I wasn't expecting that. I don't remember if they were listed on the campaign info either. I should've paid more attention to where my money was going. Haha. But don't let my horrible photo quality fool you, this book and the goodies are gorgeous. I'm not a big fan of green, but I do like this book. It's very pretty.


And now, I have the second book (I think?) in my 2023 Barnes & Noble 25% off preorder sale purchase. This one is A Door in the Dark by Scott Reintgen. This was kind of a whim purchase. It sounded decent, so I preordered it while it was cheap. I also got a NetGalley copy not too long ago, but I couldn't open the file, so it's good I have a physical copy to read and review.


Another book that was supposed to arrive earlier this year and didn't. Yep, that's right. Throwing some shade to FairyLoot. I love you, FairyLoot, but every book this year has been late. March's Adult book pick, The Foxglove King by Hannah Whitten arrived in early April. And I'm not super impressed. While the edges are amazing, I don't like the fuzzy, pink title on the front. I actually prefer the original cover. I like the naked book, though, so maybe I'll take the dustjacket off. For now, the dustjacket will stay on until I read the book, though. No point in getting too ahead of myself.
 

Ebooks! Yep, I got some of those too. The first two are from the library: Defend the Dawn by Brigid Kemmerer and A River Enchanted by Rebecca Ross. And I downloaded Head Above Water by C.E. Ricci on Kindle Unlimited. All three of these authors are going to be at 2023's ApollyCon. And, speaking of ApollyCon, I bought brunch tickets for the event AND I was able to sell my extra Q&A tickets. That means I get the exclusive brunch bag at the Sunday event! Woohoo!.
 

Here, we have the room in my new place that will house a majority of my books. That's right, this will be the library! I'm hoping to buy some nice white Billy bookcases from Ikea, so I can utilize all the space in the room. For now, though, it's just holding some random stuff I don't have a place for yet. Also, like 99% of my books and bookcases are still at my parents' house. It's going to take multiple summer weekends to get all those safely packed up and transferred here. My back hurts just thinking about it. I love my books, but moving them is torture.
 

I'm almost done, I swear. This is the pin of Poppy's dagger I ordered from Enchanted Oddities when it was, thankfully, on sale. Isn't it beautiful? I have a couple of pins of the dagger, but they're all kind of cartoonish. This one looks like it could be real. And it's shiny! It also came with a free sticker and a cute star-covered bag.
 
 
Now, here's the final, mega special part of the haul. I definitely saved the best for last. Me, with all my Tor connections (I used to work there, in case you didn't know, and by all, I mean the one person who still works there that I begged for a copy), managed to convince my old co-worker to send little ol' me an early copy of JLA's Fall of Ruin and Wrath. And I think I have this before even JLA got her copies! That's both weird and exciting! Unfortunately, I haven't started it yet, as I'm in the middle of two large fantasy books, but you can bet your bottom I'll be reading this right after those, especially since I want to have it finished by ApollyCon, where I'll for sure be getting this puppy signed.

Well, that's all for me. What books have you bought/received lately?

2 comments:

  1. OOh very nice! Yeah I was a little miffed with Fairy Loot's Foxglove. I mean it's pretty but I was hoping for more with their enhancements or what have you. I was deeply upset that the YA book took so long. People with full boxes got them when they never send out book onlys first if they're waiting on a box item. The YA one was kind of disappointing too come to think of it.

    Congrats on getting a hot item from your last TOR contact! That's still super cool! I hope you enjoy all your fantastic new reads and goodies!


    My StS will be up tomorrow, so stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, FL hasn't had the best customizations lately. They seem to put a lot of effort into the edges, but I'd rather have a nice cover than spredges.

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!